Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Orange blossom honey amber - couple of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Orange blossom honey amber - couple of questions

i was looking around for an amber recipe and then I saw a recipe for a honey amber and I stumbled on this recipe. I've slightly modified it, but I think it'll be good. I'm debating between the types of hops I should use, but I'm leaning toward Vanguard. Would that be ok?

Also, should I use 6 pounds amber or 3 amber and 3 light?

Ingredients:

* 6 pounds, Breiss Amber Extract
* 2 cups Orange Blossom Honey (boil)
* 0.5 pound, crystal malt
* 1.5 ounces, Hallertauer, Liberty, or Vanguard hops
* 0.5 ounce, Hallertauer, Liberty, or Vanguard hops (finish)
* 1 tsp. Irish Moss
* WLP001 California Ale Yeast
* 5/8 cup Orange Blossom Honey (priming)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
skou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd like to see you use pale malt extract, (Briess pilsen malt extract) and get the "amber" from specialty grains. I'm thinking using some Crystal 40, and some UK medium Crystal, about 1/2 pound of each. You could even use 1/4 pound of UK chocolate, if it isn't dark enough.

With the real grain, you can get the exact taste you want, and not depend on using whatever the syrup maker used.

I like the use of honey, I think it goes good in most any beer. (Something pale or amber, usually.) Put it in after the boil, or right at the very end, to preserve the honey's delicate aroma.

You may want to condition with dextrose, it will get the job done more quickly. Honey will be SLOW!

steve

Old 05-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skou
I'd like to see you use pale malt extract, (Briess pilsen malt extract) and get the "amber" from specialty grains. I'm thinking using some Crystal 40, and some UK medium Crystal, about 1/2 pound of each. You could even use 1/4 pound of UK chocolate, if it isn't dark enough.

With the real grain, you can get the exact taste you want, and not depend on using whatever the syrup maker used.

I like the use of honey, I think it goes good in most any beer. (Something pale or amber, usually.) Put it in after the boil, or right at the very end, to preserve the honey's delicate aroma.

You may want to condition with dextrose, it will get the job done more quickly. Honey will be SLOW!

steve
so if I used those graing, could I just steep them in a bag for 30/60 minutes, and then use the pale malt as normal? I don't have a mash tun yet. Yet!

Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
FatMonsters
Recipes 

I found this recipe and am planning on making a modified version in the next couple of weeks myself. I am going to do a partial mash with some 2-row or some other pale malt grains, along with the crystal. Then I'll add some extract, but I'm thinking of going with pale extract as well as I want a very light amber color.

You don't need a mash tun for specialty grains...although you can do it in a mash tun. Yes you can steep the specialty grains in muslin bag in your kettle and then add the extract as normal.

Last edited by FatMonsters; 05-22-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulcahey's Brewing
I found this recipe and am planning on making a modified version in the next couple of weeks myself. I am going to do a partial mash with some 2-row or some other pale malt grains, along with the crystal. Then I'll add some extract, but I'm thinking of going with pale extract as well as I want a very light amber color.

You don't need a mash tun for specialty grains...although you can do it in a mash tun. Yes you can steep the specialty grains in muslin bag in your kettle and then add the extract as normal.
Thanks! That's what I am going to do. I just need to look around and decide exactly which grain I want to use.

Now I just need to patiently wait for someone else to post more used carboys on craigslist in my town so I can have a secondary for cheap. I'd like to clarify this beer, so I think that'll be important.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

ok, here's my list for what I'll either make Monday or next weekend:

6 lb. light DME
.75 lb crystal 80L steeped 30 minutes @ 150
.25 lb crystal 20L steeped 30 minutes @ 150
.25 chocolate steeped 30 minutes @ 150

1.1 pounds of honey (just the size of the container I just picked up, so why not?)
1.5 oz. vanguard hops @ boil
.5 oz. vanguard @ 5 minutes

color:

Stats
OG 1.064
FG 1.016
IBU 32
ABV 6.2 %

Specifics
Boil Volume 6.5 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons

Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If possible, you could throw in 8oz of carapils (dextrine malt) in the steep this will add some body and head retention.

Last edited by Beerrific; 05-25-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
If possible, you could throw in 8oz of carapils (dextrine malt) in the steep this will add some body and head retention.
Anything is possible. My LHBS has a lot of options, so I'll look into it for sure. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2007, 01:38 AM   #9
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want to have any of that orange blossom honey aroma (and taste), don't add it to the boil at all. Add it just before pitching, or even when the wort is 100 degrees or less. The boil will destroy all the aromas and leave basically some slow fermenting sugars in the beer.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 05-26-2007, 03:26 AM   #10
Two Dog's Brewing

Recipes 

I agree I add 1 pound of Buckwheat honey in my Amber at 5 mins left in the boil. It works perfect Dont add it any earlier.

"Life is a team Sport"

Dedicated to the 10 people killed in a Hendrick Motorsports plan crash in 2004 at Martinsville, Virginia.

Quick Reply