Opinions on types of sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver0575

Reaction score
A question thats been asked many times and there will likely never be a definitive answer.
Brewing sugar or table sugar.
After reading through a number of forums numerous people have stated that table sugar is ok for wine making but can lead to odd tastes in beer making. (again these are just peoples opinions and personal tastes).
I am more curious about cider and spirit making. (i.e. in the case of spirit making using alcotec 48 hr yeast for example). Especially in the case of spirits due to the high amount of sugar needed would table sugar make any difference?
What are peoples opinions?

I'm still working on the dextrose vs sucrose (in beer and ale) issue too. Only reason being that, in bulk I pay about $1/lb for dextrose and about $0.50 for sucrose. Also, sucrose can be hydrolsed with acid to dextrose and fructose, but, then you have to neutralize the acid. For a start, I'd c.o. Brewchem 101, cheap on Amazon.
Sucrose seems OK for wines, but, since decent grape juice is $$$, I tend toward ales, lagers later.

I'm in the uk here and brewing sugar is quite expensive. Personally I'm looking at trying some alcotec vodka and since you need 8-10kg of sugar the cost difference could be massive (though obviously I'm happy to pay more for a better quality result)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back