New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Opinions on Sweet Stout Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
albannach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Opinions on Sweet Stout Recipe

Just starting to get into recipe formulation from scratch and looking for an opinion on this sweet stout recipe. I'd like to use some roasted barley but that would put the SRMs a good bit above 40 and the BJCP guidelines cap sweet stout at 40; how would that go over in a competition/judging situation?

Volume: 5.5 gallons

Grain - lbs - %of bill
----------------------------
Pale ale malt (UK) - 8.5 - 81%
Crystal 80L - 0.6 - 6%
Chocolate malt - 0.41 - 4%
Flaked barley - 0.5 - 5%
Lactose - 0.5 - 5%

Hop - AA% - ounces
-----------------------------
Progress - 8% - 0.9

Brew summary
--------------------------------
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.016
ABV: 5%
IBU: 26
SRM: 40

Mash at 152 degF for 60 min

Yeast: White labs 004 (Wyeast 1084 as backup) - Irish ale yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I can't speak as for how it will affect judging for being out of SRM for the style.

However, I use 8 oz. roasted barley in my hazelnut stout and it is delicious. It gives it a little espresso/coffee flavor.

My SRM calculates to 171.

My only suggested change would be upping the IBU. I use a rule of thumb of IBU/OG of 0.7 to 0.6 for sweet stouts. The lower the number, the sweeter. The higher, the more bitter. Yours is 26/54 =0.48.

Of course, I don't know how that change would put you further out of the style guidelines.

On deck: Barleywine, Dampfbier, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Rye-weizen, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used a pound of Black Patent and no Roasted Barley per Jamil's recipe. I never would have thought to use that much but it turned out delicious.

Might want to mash a little higher, too, to make it less fermentable.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Quick Reply