The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Opinions on this recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
TRedVR6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Opinions on this recipe

I received an ingredient kit for a beer called St Peter's Pilsner for Christmas. I'm not very familiar with pilsner's so I'm looking for your opinions on this recipe. This is what is included in the kit...

1 package light DME with Perle bittering hops already mixed into the dry malt
1 package crystal malt specialty grains
1 package Saaz flavoring hops
1 package Saaz finishing hops
1 package (11.5 grams) Fermentis Saflager s-23 Dry Ale Yeast

Starting gravity is 1.041-1.046 and ending gravity is 1.011-1.015.

How do you think this beer will taste? I usually make/drink darker beers so I am not sure if I will like it. Would you make any changes to improve this recipe?

I also have a couple of questions after reading through the instructions.

The instructions say that the kit contains a lager yeast and says to place the primary fermentor into a cool place (40F-55F) once fermentation starts. Well the packet of yeast that was included with the kit definitely says Ale yeast, but I am considering using a liquid yeast like Wyeast Czech Pilsen Lager yeast instead. I would place the fermentor in my garage which stays pretty cool during the winter (I live in NH), but ultimately the temperature is dependent on the weather. Is the flucuation in temperature going to affect the lager yeast in a bad way? Should I just use the dry ale yeast included with the kit and ferment indoors?

They also suggest adding a pound of light colored honey to the last 2 minutes of the boil. Is there a prefered type of honey to use or can I just pick up any honey from the grocery store?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK. Drink any beer from Buttwiper or Curds (Coors) and yours will be better.

Just use any light honey.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRedVR6
I received an ingredient kit for a beer called St Peter's Pilsner for Christmas. I'm not very familiar with pilsner's so I'm looking for your opinions on this recipe. This is what is included in the kit...

1 package light DME with Perle bittering hops already mixed into the dry malt
1 package crystal malt specialty grains
1 package Saaz flavoring hops
1 package Saaz finishing hops
1 package (11.5 grams) Fermentis Saflager s-23 Dry Ale Yeast

Starting gravity is 1.041-1.046 and ending gravity is 1.011-1.015.

How do you think this beer will taste? I usually make/drink darker beers so I am not sure if I will like it. Would you make any changes to improve this recipe?

I also have a couple of questions after reading through the instructions.

The instructions say that the kit contains a lager yeast and says to place the primary fermentor into a cool place (40F-55F) once fermentation starts. Well the packet of yeast that was included with the kit definitely says Ale yeast, but I am considering using a liquid yeast like Wyeast Czech Pilsen Lager yeast instead. I would place the fermentor in my garage which stays pretty cool during the winter (I live in NH), but ultimately the temperature is dependent on the weather. Is the flucuation in temperature going to affect the lager yeast in a bad way? Should I just use the dry ale yeast included with the kit and ferment indoors?

They also suggest adding a pound of light colored honey to the last 2 minutes of the boil. Is there a prefered type of honey to use or can I just pick up any honey from the grocery store?

Thanks for any suggestions!
give me the pounds of whatever you using not how many packages and i will tell you everything you need to know. As for the tempature in your garage, i would say the fluctuations in the temperature may cause off flavors in your beer. Ive noticed when using lager yeast that if the temp does not stay within 5 to 7 degrees of desired temp, I get off flavors, stalled fermentations, etc..... I usually like clover honey or if you could find it wild mountain honey gives really good honey flavor. Make sure your honey is pure with no preservatives in it. I used a honey with preservatives in it and it stopped my fermentation. anymore questions just ask

Old 12-31-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Odd, all of the references I find say S-23 is a lager yeast. If it was an ale yeast the name would be Safale S-23.

Saflager S-23 Lager Yeast
S-23 is a genuine German style dried lager yeast, developing the best of its lager notes under low-temperature fermentation (46-50O F). Good flocculation with excellent attenuation. The right choice for the production of a wide range of lager and pilsner beers.

With the Perle and Saaz hops, I'd stick with your basic clover honey. If you wrap your fermenter in a quilt in the garage that will damp out the temperature variations.

Taste? Should be good. Nothing like Butt or Curs

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 12-31-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #5
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Odd, all of the references I find say S-23 is a lager yeast. If it was an ale yeast the name would be Safale S-23.
That makes sense. Isn't pilsner a lagered beer to begin with?

Old 01-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Pilseners should be lagered to get that real crispness. All the yellow beers I've made with ale yeasts have come out perfectly drinkable, but real thick in body... draught style maybe...

That recipe sounds to me to be a very Czech style, bitter, dry beer. We need the relative amounts of things in that recipe to know more. ... but the only surprise to me is crystal malt, which I would guess will lend an amber hue to the thing. Not entirely out of character. Sounds like you'll be brewing up an Zyviech or Okicim style beer. Give er a shot.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 01-02-2006, 04:48 AM   #7
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

I might recommend buying a liquid yeast instead. I quit using dry yeast after my first beer with liquid yeast.

Also, I am guessing the crystal malt is about 10"L or 20"L, and probably no more than 1/2 lb.

I always use honey from the HBS, but if it's too much a drive for you, I saw this "Gyoza" brand honey in the mexican food section of king soopers. Just honey, with a bit of real honeycomb inside it. That might be the trick (I even saw some bee pieces in the bottom).

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Last edited by The Happy Mug; 01-02-2006 at 04:54 AM.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
TRedVR6
Recipes 

I only have a bathroom scale to measure the quantities of the ingredients so these weights are approximate. The kit included 5 lbs of light DME including the Perle bittering hops. I'm guessing that the crystal malt is <1/2 lb. I cannot measure the bittering and finishing hops because the amounts are too small for my scale. They are hops pellets and look to be equal amounts.

The yeast says Dry Ale Yeast on the package, but under characteristics it indicates "Genuine bottom fermenting commercial yeast for lager and pilsner beers production."

Quick Reply