Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Operation: Sixpoint Resin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
nsap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Operation: Sixpoint Resin

Just recently got a four pack of sixpoint breweries Resin and was just blown away by it. It's such a big beer while at the same time being incredibly balanced. The hop flavor just fills your palate with just the right amount of bitterness on the tongue and the perfect amount of graham crackery malt sweetness in the aftertaste.

I have no idea where to start with cloning this. Team effort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
nsap
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Really? No brewmasters willing to lend a hand? I'll bump once out of desperation.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Chucklemonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Resin clone

I would be on board for a Resin team effort. I've only been brewing for about a year and haven't/ can't do all grain yet but... Have you tried contacting Sixpoint yet? You never know.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
nsap
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklemonk View Post
I would be on board for a Resin team effort. I've only been brewing for about a year and haven't/ can't do all grain yet but... Have you tried contacting Sixpoint yet? You never know.
What a good idea. It's christmas morning so maybe the holiday spirit will cheer them up enough to bring forth some good tidings.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Buna_Bere
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Another fan of Resin here. I was working on a clone of this back in September, never made it, but I'll give you the info I found.

First I tried to contact the brewery, Shane and Jan answered my email very fast, here's the info they gave me, the first email is from Shane, the second from Jan

Hey Bob -

Our Braumeister Jan and I have formulated the Resin, and tweaked the recipe, over the past 9 months. We started just like you - with a homebrew batch, then kept scaling it up until we had a working recipe on our 200 bbl system. We currently make three 200bbl batches and max out a 600bbl tank when we brew it - that's a lot of Resin! :-)

Jan has been curating the recipe and dialing it in over the past several months. He can help you from here.

cheers

☮ ☮ ☮ ☮ ☮ ☮
Shane C. Welch
President
Sixpoint - Brooklyn - NYC 11231

Bob,

Good to hear you're enjoying the Resin.
While I can't give you the exact recipe, I will provide some hints that should help you out: Malt bill is quite simple and straight forward, mainly 2-row pale malt and some caramel malt. As for the hop schedule: Lot's of classic American citrus hops. Good amount of dry-hops as well !

Have fun!

Cheers,

--
Jan H. Matysiak
Brewmaster
Sixpoint - Brooklyn - NYC 11231

So, not to much info there. I did find an interview on youtube Shane did with BeerGeekNation where he gives some info about Resin, here's a link

Here's some of the info on Resin Shane gives in that youtube vid

Resin was not originally press released as an IIPA, He describes it as more of an American Strong Ale, or a Doppelboch crossed with a Barleywine

He mentions 3 low lovibond crystals used in the grain bill

boiled for 1:45-2:00 hours

Hops he mentions in Resin are,
Cascade
Citra
Columbus
Chinook
Amarillo
-------------------

Some other info I can give, I measured the Final Gravity of a degassed sample of Resin, FG 1.010. This puts the OG around 1.079.

I came up with a grain bill I was going to try,
85% Briess Pale
3% C20
3% C40
3% C60
6% Dextrose Sugar(this is to get the FG down to 1.010, the Pliny clone uses 5% Dextrose as a reference)

mash around 150

I never came up with a hop schedule, but if I had to now, I'd copy one of the hop schedules Avery Brewing uses for their IIPA's. Bitter with Magnum, then big late additions of the hops Shane mentioned, mostly I'd go heavy on the Chinook, and Columbus, and light on the Citra, Cascade, and Amarillo.

Just a couple of other notes, I'd give it a 20 minute hot whirlpool before chilling, use lots of O2 at pitching, and a very big pitch of yeast.

From the Resin can 9.1% ABV, 103 IBU's, 9.5 SRM.

Personally I'm really liking Avery's Dugana more than Resin now, I posted a clone recipe of that on here too. Avery clone link
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
HoppinThruTX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think they've got some kind if proprietary yeast strain that gives all their beers some kind of flavor I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of. The reason I think it's the yeast is because I tasted it every one of their beers that I've tried. But Resin was the one that I liked the most.

Good luck

Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Chucklemonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is an attempt at a jumping off point, based on the info above (thank you very much Buna Bere):

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/6829b60a/

If the link doesn't work, let me know, or you can look for it under American Pale Ales at Brewmaster'sWarehouse.com.

I know that the %'s of malt aren't quite right, but it gets the O.G. up to 1.079, and the hops schedule gets it to 107 IBU's. Let me know what you think.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
obarnhart
Recipes 

Anyone have any success with this attempt at a clone of this beer yet? I love Resin!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
obarnhart
Recipes 

Well, today is my first attempt at this clone recipe. All Grain.
I went with the grain bill from above, but used my own hop schedule.
It is embarrassingly complicated so I will keep it to myself until I try the final product.

I missed the OG by 8 points!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
jkobos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any word yet on how this came out? Or still conditioning? Thinking about a resin clone for my next brew session next weekend.

Quick Reply