Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Open hop pellets: freeze or refrigerate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Open hop pellets: freeze or refrigerate?

I ordered several 8oz bags of hops from Northern Brewer and now have several bags that are no longer vacuum sealed. I have them rolled up in ziplock bags. I plan on using these leftovers in maybe the next two months or so. I want to do what is best for my little hop friends, so is freezing or refrigerating better? They are currently refrigerated.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I keep mine frozen, and that seems to be the generally accepted practice.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4283 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Vacuum sealing is best, but try your best to squeeze out all of the air that you can and stick them in the freezer. With a vacuum sealer, they can last for a couple of years in the freezer. Without a vacuum sealer, they will lose flavor and aroma faster, so if you're using them in a couple of months you'll be fine. I'd still stick them in the freezer instead of the fridge, though!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Great, thanks for the info. How long will they last in the freezer?

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

oil is oil, it WILL break down. freezing prolongs that the longest (apart from storing them on the dark side of the moon). it's where i put my best, bulk coffee beans, too. for the same reason.

l;asts what, 6-10 months? hell don't ask me. i find old hops in a cardboard box in my basement (2 years +), hell I *USE* em.

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
Great, thanks for the info. How long will they last in the freezer?
Ray Daniels says in Designing Great Beers that at most hops stored in a sealed bag in the freezer will only lose 25% of their AA over the course of a year, and even then the amounts of other bittering compounds can increase. Figure you lose a little more than that if they aren't sealed, and not sure if that still holds for the flavor and aroma compounds, but for 2 months I'd definitely toss them in the freezer and not worry about it.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonk View Post
oil is oil, it WILL break down. freezing prolongs that the longest (apart from storing them on the dark side of the moon). it's where i put my best, bulk coffee beans, too. for the same reason.

l;asts what, 6-10 months? hell don't ask me. i find old hops in a cardboard box in my basement (2 years +), hell I *USE* em.
How do you get your coffee beans on the dark side of the moon, and don't you find it inconvenient to go to there whenever you need your coffee??

Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_B_Mongo View Post
How do you get your coffee beans on the dark side of the moon, and don't you find it inconvenient to go to there whenever you need your coffee??
Not only that, but moving the coffee all over a planetary body to keep it on the dark side! I'd just put it in one of those permanently shaded polar craters instead!
Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Quick Reply