OOPS. Drunk Shopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holbyone2000

Reaction score
I went to my LHBS and picked up some stuff for a large batch. Didn't pay enough attention, after a few beers at the local brewery next door, and ended up with Light Wheat DME instead of Pale Malt DME. Didn't realize until after I added it to the boil. It was supposed to be IPA, but now I'm afraid of what it will taste like. The ingrediants were supposed to be:

1/2 All Grain - which was fine. make up of 5 gallons
1/2 DME - 9lbs of Pale Malt. Make up of 5 gallons.

I did get 4 lbs of pale, but ended up with 5 lbs of Wheat.

Should I be scared of what it will taste like? This recipe turns out great when correct.

I am not a NOOB, have done this for 20 years, but never f'd up like this before.

i think your saying you got wheat DME instead of the same amount of pale malt DME?
that should be fine. you'll just have a WIPA:D

If you were doing all wheat DME, it might be an issue but with a partial mash taking up 1/2 of your gravity, I'm sure you're fine. Who knows? You may love the change to the recipe and make it like this from now on?

I was just discussing this in another thread. I still say a wheat IPA could work. My idea was to use the type of hops typically found in wheat beers,but bump them up to an appropriate level for the wheat. Imo,a great summer IPA...

I thought I was in terra incognita. Oh well,it's still a really good idea. I see a lot of Willamette in my future,along with other floral,fruity hops. And a half pound of honey malt. I was trying to think of one my wife could put together on her own. She seems to have a knack for this.

What percentage wheat was the wheat DME? If it was 50% or so wheat I doubt it will be very noticeable. Only ~1/4 of the fermentables came from your wheat DME, and if it's 50% wheat, you're looking at ~12% wheat malt. That's more than you would typically use in an IPA, but it's nothing to worry about.

I just made an extract kit that was American IPA, but I replaced the LME with wheat LME. It turned out really good. It is getting better with age as well (2+ mos).

Just made a Amarillo/Simcoe hoppy wheat akin to a pale ale and it's delicious as anything. Wheat goes great with American citrusy piney hops. Smuttynose even makes a wheat wine (Barleywine with 50% wheat) that's excellent. Your beer will have a slightly different character and will be cloudier, but it will still be an amazing brew!

Kegged and quick carbed a few gallons to test. The beer is kind of a cross breed hef and IPA. It has a nice hoppy finish, but slight wheat flavor as well. I might even go as far as to say I would try this mistake brew again!

Back