Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Only 5 lbs of 2 row - need recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Toasting works well wet or dry. Palmer has a great description of the process in his online book (or print). Just don't shoot for the heavy toasts, as these need time in a paper bag to improve the flavor.

I did a quasi SMaSH with 2-row, toasted 2-row, and centennial hops. Came out okay. Nothing real interesting, but it was drinkable nonetheless. I was hoping to make a lighter version of Deadringer (Two Hearted clone). It fell short in that area.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
dukes909
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I neglected to mention I have a pound of roasted barley as well..not that it will contribute anything sugar-wise.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

In that case a dry Irish stout might be the way to go. Never made one, but I would guess the 1 lb of RB, 1 lb of flaked barley, and 2 row malt would work well together.

And you have now prompted me to add this to my "to brew" beers

Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
dukes909
Recipes 

Yes I thought about a stout, but gravity will be a little low. I could bump it up with the corn sugar I guess!?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Guinness is only about 4.2% anyway. The classic guidelines for dry stout is 70% pale ale malt, 20% flaked barley and 10% roasted. You could do something similar with what you have on hand, throwing in some of the corn sugar or honey would add some alcohol, but don't expect to get any honey flavor if you use it in conjunction with all that roasted malt.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Yea, I think dry irish stout is the way to go now that you mention the roasted barley. Anything else laying around (specialty grains etc?)

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
dukes909
Recipes 

Nope, that's all. I forgot about the roasted barley. I actually already have a stout in the keg but I guess you can never have too much!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnCully View Post
I would toast a half pound of the 2 row for some color and look around the house for a pound of oatmeal for some mouthfeel.... And possibly a pound of whole grain rice to boost the abv a little
Hell, look around the house for some popcorn and some captain crunch too. Make something cool.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #19
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

If you wanted to be adventurous you could use your oven and water and create other specialty grains. Take basic two row, produce all the other specialty malts you need and make whatever you want.

Quick Reply