Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Online Bulk Shopping List - thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Someone else mentioned it, but you definitely want a small amount of Chocolate, Roasted Barley, and maybe Black Patent for your stouts. I also get Pale Chocolate always. Its delish and critical in a couple of my recipes.

I like Special B alot but its pretty close to C120.

If you're going to make many continental beers, you really need some Pilsner malt. A big ol' bag.

Also get a nice high Alpha hop variety. It will go a long way and last a long time for bittering additions. I use Summit in my American Ales (18.5%AA).

cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you looked to see if someone sells bulk locally? The shipping online pretty much kills it for dealing with Bulk 2-Row (or other 55lb bags). Most places will charge $20+ per bag to ship, and the guys who do fixed shipping just build it into the grain prices.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Places like northern brewer or brewmaster warehouse have a flat shipping rate of ~$7. In bulk at the LHBS is $54 for 50 lb, online it is as low as $43. Once I get a big enough order the shipping fee is worth it.

Empty
Bottled
EdWort's Apfelwein
Kegged
Pale Onderale
RyePA

Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Have you looked to see if someone sells bulk locally? The shipping online pretty much kills it for dealing with Bulk 2-Row (or other 55lb bags). Most places will charge $20+ per bag to ship, and the guys who do fixed shipping just build it into the grain prices.
Good point, I just checked one of the popular online shops and a 50# bag of 2-row was 59.99. My LHBS sells a 50# bag of 2-row for $45 or so. That $15 is your shipping built into the price.

Best bet is if you know other brewers in your area (Home brew club?) and can get a full pallet order (40 bags IIRC) do a group buy from North Country Malt. Our home brew club does a group buy once or twice a year.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonderdonk View Post
Places like northern brewer or brewmaster warehouse have a flat shipping rate of ~$7, online it is as low as $43.
You will not find cheap grain and flat shipping at the same place. If its $7 flat shipping, expect to pay $55+ for a bag of 2-row. If its $43 for a bag of 2-row, expect to pay $20+ to ship it.

Now, the flat shipping places tend to have pretty good prices on specialty grain. Crystal 40L (first thing I checked) is $1.35/lb at Brewmasterswarehouse, and I can't get it for lower than about $2.50 a pound here, unless I want to buy a 55lb bag (yeah, right). So, there definitely are some savings to be had online, but its not with bulk base malt.

Last edited by Synovia; 08-18-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

For what it's worth, I buy bulk Maris Otter and Pilsner as my two main base malts. One of my reasons for buying by the 55# bag is that I can get organic malt that way. I also have the advantage of being a reasonably short drive from Mid-Country Malt, so I don't have shipping costs.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
thedude123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I've never found a reason to use it. If you're already using crystal malts (carapils is a crystal malt), then you're duplicating. If you're not using crystal malts, and you have a beer unlikely to have good head retention, I guess you could use it. But I almost always use specialty grains in my beers, so don't find it necessary.
Carapils and Crystal malt aren't the same. Carapils is kilned while crystal malt is roasted. If you eat the kernels they taste different.

Merrimack Valley Homebrew Club

http://mvhbc.com/

Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Good point, I just checked one of the popular online shops and a 50# bag of 2-row was 59.99. My LHBS sells a 50# bag of 2-row for $45 or so. That $15 is your shipping built into the price.

Best bet is if you know other brewers in your area (Home brew club?) and can get a full pallet order (40 bags IIRC) do a group buy from North Country Malt. Our home brew club does a group buy once or twice a year.
Yeah, looks like you are right on the shipping jacking up actual malt price.
Empty
Bottled
EdWort's Apfelwein
Kegged
Pale Onderale
RyePA

Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I will be the first to admit that there is no free lunch with flat rate shipping, especially with base malts. The price we charge for a sack or 2-row + shipping is certainly not cheap compared to the price of picking it up locally. For specialty malts that you are looking for 5-10 lbs of, then I think we have some great deals to be had.

Ed

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #20
marc06
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Although it depends on your lhbs, its cheaper by far for me to pay any sort of shipping than pick it up there

Quick Reply