New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Online Bulk Shopping List - thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
aeonderdonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Online Bulk Shopping List - thoughts?

I am considering going online and stocking up on grains/hops to avoid frequent and costly trips to the LHBS. Here is my initial pass at the list:

GRAINS:
2-Row - 50 lb (maybe 100)
White Wheat - 20 lb
Vienna - 15 lb
Munich - 5 lb
Rye - 5 lb (to experiment)
Caramel 20 - 10 lb
Caramel 60 - 10 lb
Caramel 120 - 10 lb
Carapils - 10 lb (too much?)
Victory - 5lb
Biscuit - 5lb

HOPS (all 1 lb):
Cascade
Centennial
Fuggles
Kent Goldings
Tett
Perle

Not sure what else I will need. Wanting to brew some nut brown ale for the fall, and a trippel, and a porter, and a stout, and an IPA, and, and, and

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why not just list about 20-25 recipes you want to make THEN add up all the main ingredients?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Why not just list about 20-25 recipes you want to make THEN add up all the main ingredients?
I can't plan that far ahead

Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
bad coffee

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'd go with one bag of 2 row, and one bag of MO. Or one bag of Pils and one bag of MO. Use the MO for 2 row when you need it.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3849 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

I never use carapils anymore, so I'd ditch that.

It really depends on what you like to make, but I'll give you my thoughts on supplies.

I like to have maris otter malt, US 2-row, Vienna malt, pilsner malt, and Munich malt always on hand. You can make just about any beer you can think of with those base malts. If you usually make lagers, you may not need the maris otter, but I find that it's an ideal base malt for many beers, not just English beers.

As far as crystal, I'm learning that I like a mix of them in my APAs. I would get either 10L or 20L, 60L, 80L, and a little 120L if you use it. I only use 120L in my Arrogant Bastard clone, so I rarely use it.

I like special roast, and like to have a little on hand. I also keep some biscuit malt (or victory malt) on hand. If you want to make nut browns, porters, stouts, etc, you will want some chocolate malt and some roasted barley. I like flaked barley for head retention, but don't use it that much. I never make wheat beers, but I keep a little flaked wheat on hand for some recipes.

As far as hops, if you think about what styles you want to make, you can get by with fewer varieties. For English beers, I keep EKG on hand. I make mostly American IPAs and APAs so I have a good mix of US "C" hops. I also use amarillo hops often. I have several varieties of German hops for my lagers, but I don't have too many.

I wouldn't get a pound of fuggles and EKG, unless you were an English beer/ESB fanatic. That's alot of English hops.

Take a look at some recipes you're hoping to brew, and begin from there.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
zman
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I never use carapils anymore, so I'd ditch that.

It really depends on what you like to make, but I'll give you my thoughts on supplies.

I like to have maris otter malt, US 2-row, Vienna malt, pilsner malt, and Munich malt always on hand. You can make just about any beer you can think of with those base malts. If you usually make lagers, you may not need the maris otter, but I find that it's an ideal base malt for many beers, not just English beers.

As far as crystal, I'm learning that I like a mix of them in my APAs. I would get either 10L or 20L, 60L, 80L, and a little 120L if you use it. I only use 120L in my Arrogant Bastard clone, so I rarely use it.

I like special roast, and like to have a little on hand. I also keep some biscuit malt (or victory malt) on hand. If you want to make nut browns, porters, stouts, etc, you will want some chocolate malt and some roasted barley. I like flaked barley for head retention, but don't use it that much. I never make wheat beers, but I keep a little flaked wheat on hand for some recipes.

As far as hops, if you think about what styles you want to make, you can get by with fewer varieties. For English beers, I keep EKG on hand. I make mostly American IPAs and APAs so I have a good mix of US "C" hops. I also use amarillo hops often. I have several varieties of German hops for my lagers, but I don't have too many.

I wouldn't get a pound of fuggles and EKG, unless you were an English beer/ESB fanatic. That's alot of English hops.

Take a look at some recipes you're hoping to brew, and begin from there.
Why do you no longer use Carapils?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
the_Roqk

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonderdonk View Post
I am considering going online and stocking up on grains/hops to avoid frequent and costly trips to the LHBS. Here is my initial pass at the list:

GRAINS:
2-Row - 50 lb (maybe 100)
White Wheat - 20 lb
Vienna - 15 lb
Munich - 5 lb
Rye - 5 lb (to experiment)
Caramel 20 - 10 lb
Caramel 60 - 10 lb
Caramel 120 - 10 lb
Carapils - 10 lb (too much?)
Victory - 5lb
Biscuit - 5lb

HOPS (all 1 lb):
Cascade
Centennial
Fuggles
Kent Goldings
Tett
Perle

Not sure what else I will need. Wanting to brew some nut brown ale for the fall, and a trippel, and a porter, and a stout, and an IPA, and, and, and
Damn, you can afford all that in one trip? Musta won the lottery or have gotten a nice inheritance. My hats off to ya!

Assuming you have a malt mill or barley crusher it does look like a lot of grain to be stored for an extended period of time. But since I don't know you and how often you brew I won't be judgemental. I do say: go for all that you can get.

I do like the idea of the other post(s) of getting some MO. IMHO a very good base malt for just about anything. Your Victory Malt can take the place of Biscuit in my opinion. As far as the White wheat why not go ahead and get a 50 lb sack. I've found that even if your not making wheat beers that a pound/recipe will help in head retention. For specialty grains I like Caramel/Crystal 10, 20, 40, 80, and 120. I'm also partial to Special B or some would call it extra dark crystal. I even keep about 5 lbs of Caramunich. I agree with Yooper and ditch the Carapils, unless you really want it.

I like all your hops selection but would add one. Target is a dual hop and is usually a high AA hop too. A little can go a long ways. That's all just MHO, and $.02 worth. Good luck and happy brewing.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3849 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Why do you no longer use Carapils?
I've never found a reason to use it. If you're already using crystal malts (carapils is a crystal malt), then you're duplicating. If you're not using crystal malts, and you have a beer unlikely to have good head retention, I guess you could use it. But I almost always use specialty grains in my beers, so don't find it necessary.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i brew probably 2 batches a month maybe a 3rd if i have the grains. Sounds like some great input so far, keep it coming please.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Also consider what specialty malts your LHBS doesn't carry. For example neither of the local shops to me carry pale chocolate (which shows up in several of Jamil's recipes) so whenever I order online I pick up some of that. One of my recipes (Actually The Pols Fat Tire Clone) Uses 5# Munich in a 5 gallon batch so I started buying that in 50# bags also.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Quick Reply