New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > One recipe for the rest of your life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
brewstev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default One recipe for the rest of your life

I was just thinking about this the other day...if I had to choose what beer to drink for the rest of my life what would it be. Any of you guys have a homebrew recipe you would choose as the one and only from here on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

No, faced with that choice, I'd probably stop drinking after a few months.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

9.25# german pislner
1.25# carafoam

enough noble hops to hit 18 ibu, bittering addition only

german lager yeast.... yum

Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I absolutely love variations on the DFH 60 minute recipe I've posted. If I could drink only one beer forever, that would be the one.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
No, faced with that choice, I'd probably stop drinking after a few months.
yup. same here. i think it would come and go in cycles, but i'd rarely drink at all.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
lbart
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I could probably survive on IPA, but I'm not sure which exact recipe.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I would make my beer the way I make my chili. No recipe.

Grain (whatever is on hand)
Hops (adjust to taste)
Water
Yeast (whatever is on hand)

Seriously, that's a tough one. Something like an English mild or something malty but sessionable.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 123

I took Yoopers' Dead Guy Ale clone and upped the hops and some other bastardations, and that's definitely my favorite beer.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

A Pale Ale. No idea of recipe though.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
burnunit
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

How do you approach the term "recipe," you know? If it's the combination of ingredients + technique, this question is virtually impossible to answer, yes. I'd probably have to pick a pale ale with two row, in the 1.048-1.055 range, 30-35 ibu, american hops, and a california common yeast strain.

And since you didn't specify, and it's the rest of MY life, I get to answer accordingly: I am seriously casual in some of my techniques. Not sloppy, but fairly imprecise: I don't have a RIMS, I batch sparge, I don't calibrate my thermometers, if I get distracted I can leave a mash going for 75 minutes instead of 60, I weigh my hops but sometimes I'm splitting boiling kettles and I boil one less time than the other.

Suddenly, because of my imprecision, even with a very set and strict ingredients formulation, let's say...
10 # two row
.5 # 90L crystal
.25 # dextrine malt
summit, cascade, and willamette hops
Wyeast 2112
tap water

My lack of concern about certain factors (particularly efficiency, and timing) makes it harder for every one of my beers to be exactly the same. I don't have the gear to hold a mash at exactly the same temperature for exactly the same rests. I don't have the gear to extract exactly the same amount of fermentables. I don't have the stuff to make exactly the same size boils to utilize the same amount of AAs. I don't have the attention span to remember which bowl has the .25 oz. of summits for bittering and the .33 of the other ones for part of a flavor addition. I keep my brewhouse temperature up in the winter with a space heater! Which means that over a lifetime, I will make thousands of different brews with the above recipe, even if I'm trying to be rigidly consistent.

If you said "you have to make the same recipe using the same techniques," then yeah, I'd eventually only brew about twice a year because that wouldn't be my hobby anymore, it'd be a chore. Spring and fall cleaning of the equipment.

But because I know just enough to be dangerous not only do I get to fiddle with the factors, I won't be able to be consistent, and thus create infinite variety. 155F mash one time, 149F the next, 153 for seven brews in a row. Steep a portion of the grains instead of mashing. Do some decoctions. Cook some of the barley in the oven. Bittering with the cascades, flavoring with the summits, aroma with the willamettes. Reverse it. Maybe that year I got some unusually low alpha summits--hell maybe I grew my own hops and I have no idea what the AA values are. Accidentally leave the primary open, standing in a cornfield one time. Turn up the heat in the brewhouse one time, take it to 59F the next. Throw out my thermometers and approximate everything using crude math, knowing that water boils at 212 and having some room temperature water on hand to balance. My "seriously casual" approach to brewing makes it impossible for one recipe to straightjacket me.

A sonnet has 14 lines. But no one can even agree on a standard rhyme scheme! Hell even if you keep the rhyme scheme the same, Shakespeare and Petrarch wrote hundreds within their specific variations on the form (the homebrew equivalents would be Jamil and Palmer maybe). I may not be Shakespeare, but I've written some sonnets in my day.

Last edited by burnunit; 10-28-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply