Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 519
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone?

I'm considering brewing up a batch of the Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone that was posted in the Best of Brew Hop Lovers Guide... Primarily because I want an Imp Stout yet this winter, but wasn't on the ball months ago. The recipe states that this Stout is ready for consumption in 4 weeks, and that North Coast Brewing releases theirs that soon after brewing. Anybody ever tried one? It sounds good based on the recipe....

3.75 lbs Briess Lt DME
6.6 lbs Coopers Lt LME (15 minutes)
1.0 lb Carastan Malt (35° L)
0.5 lb Brown Malt (60°L)
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
1.0 lb Crystal Malt (120° L)
0.25 lb Roasted Black Barley
~3 oz. Culster - 60 min
~1 oz. Northern Brewer - 2 min
~ 0.75 oz. Centennial - 2 min
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) - Though I'll likely use Notty or S-04.

Since the recipe is for a partial boil, will adding the LME upfront keep the Hop utilization about the same in a full boil?

__________________
HOP-HEAD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
jjp36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 406
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Old Rasputin is an excellent Russian Imperial Stout. That being said I think this recipe will still be pretty rough after 4 weeks. Imperial stouts get better as they age. If you were planning on brewing this now i would think it would start being good by next winter. Imperial stouts aren't exactly a quick turn-around beer.

__________________
jjp36 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 519
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

The age issue was precisely my fear... that's why I was going to try this one. The article specifically states that the recipe is so well balanced that the brewer releases it in less than a month.

But I agree it sounds way too early....

__________________
HOP-HEAD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coraopolis, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
Posts: 926
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Here is my Imperial Stout we just tapped yesterday. It has about a month in the keg for aging and it tastes great. Lots of foamy goodness when first poured and it takes about 4 or 5 minutes to settle down.



Salute!

__________________
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale
bmckee56 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 519
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee56 View Post
Here is my Imperial Stout we just tapped yesterday. It has about a month in the keg for aging and it tastes great. Lots of foamy goodness when first poured and it takes about 4 or 5 minutes to settle down.



Salute!
Beautiful..... recipe?
__________________
HOP-HEAD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coraopolis, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
Posts: 926
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Will post it later tonight when I get home. I am at work at the moment.

Salute!

__________________
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale
bmckee56 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
jjp36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 406
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'm not doubting they release it after 4 weeks and I'm sure it is drinkable, but it is nowhere near its full potential.

One of the brewpubs near me always has a keg of the previous years old rasputin they serve every winter. Its is amazingly smooth with a dark roasted character and virtually no harsh alcohol bite.

In my mind if you brew an Imperial Stout but don't let it age its kind of pointless. I think you'd be much better off perhaps bumping up the gravity of an oatmeal stout or dry stout to around 6% or so. It won't take as long to age and should be drinkable in a month or 2. I have a toasted oatmeal stout that came in at about 6.7% (got a lot better efficiency on my first all-grain then i anticipated) and the sample i cracked to make sure carbonation was coming along was pretty tasty, but I'm gonna let them sit for another month or so before i really start drinking them.

__________________
jjp36 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 519
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp36 View Post
I'm not doubting they release it after 4 weeks and I'm sure it is drinkable, but it is nowhere near its full potential.

One of the brewpubs near me always has a keg of the previous years old rasputin they serve every winter. Its is amazingly smooth with a dark roasted character and virtually no harsh alcohol bite.

In my mind if you brew an Imperial Stout but don't let it age its kind of pointless. I think you'd be much better off perhaps bumping up the gravity of an oatmeal stout or dry stout to around 6% or so. It won't take as long to age and should be drinkable in a month or 2. I have a toasted oatmeal stout that came in at about 6.7% (got a lot better efficiency on my first all-grain then i anticipated) and the sample i cracked to make sure carbonation was coming along was pretty tasty, but I'm gonna let them sit for another month or so before i really start drinking them.
Excellent points... maybe that's why I love this place so much... While your feedback was counter to the opinion I was hoping for, in all truth, you're probably 100% accurate.

Maybe I'll brew it now, crack a few in a month, and let the bulk of it satisfy my tastes next November when the snow returns....
__________________
HOP-HEAD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
jjp36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 406
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
Maybe I'll brew it now, crack a few in a month, and let the bulk of it satisfy my tastes next November when the snow returns....
I think this is probably your best option. This way will also let you see how much age helps a beer like this. Best of luck!
__________________
jjp36 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
tekhna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 58
Default

I actually think Old Rasputin is a lesser stout amongst the gods, but still a darn fine stout. To my taste I might add a bit more barley, up the grain a touch and add some coffee, but that's just me!

__________________
tekhna is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout clone gresc Recipes/Ingredients 10 12-22-2012 04:04 PM
Old Rasputin clone wanted... WhatsOnTap Recipes/Ingredients 25 10-10-2012 04:45 AM
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout pgenius Commercial Brew Discussion 1 06-21-2010 03:08 PM
Generic Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout mrb Extract Brewing 8 09-21-2007 12:58 AM
Old Rasputin Clone recipe Brewsmith Recipes/Ingredients 4 12-30-2005 09:11 AM