New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > old, old, old Mr. Beer ingredients

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
AZ_IPA
PKU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5729 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Default old, old, old Mr. Beer ingredients

Hey,

a buddy of mine figured out that I brew and said "hey do you want some ingredients?"

So I say sure...

turns out he has some "kits" from some "add water and make beer" thing - I don't think it's Mr. Beer, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, it looks to be pre-hopped DME in ~2.1 lb bags for a 2.6 gallon batch, and the yeast is dated as expired in 9/2001.

What should I do with this stuff? brew it as is (with new yeast obviously)? Mix it with new DME and fresh hops for a 5-gallon batch?

I just hate to dump all of it -- it's enough to make probaly 40-50 gallons of beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

save some for starters.
boil up the rest in a mystery beer....

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 06-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it's DME rather than LME(which continues to darken and react over time in the can) you might be all right. You'll want to add some specialty grains at least, I imagine, and use some new hops in there since what's there is just bittering and might have faded flavors by now anyway(I didn't know they made hopped DME, for that matter).

Taste some and compare it with fresh DME. Experiment with a small batch of the stuff and see how it comes out. I have to agree, if the stuff isn't going to make bad beer that's a lot of money's worth of extract, so don't pitch it before you know it's bad.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think that if the DME is still powder, then it should be ok. Many years ago, (at least 12, I've been brewing for about 3) my mother bought me a cheap brew kit for Christmas. I stuck it in a closet and forgot about it. When I started brewing, I dug it out to see if it was any good. The DME had condensed into a taffy like brick. I tried to use it, but it took forever to dissolve, so I dumped it. My uncle buys bulk DME in 50 lb boxes. He brews only a few batches a year, so his bulk DME will last him for a few years. I had asked him how long the shelf life is, and he told me that as long as it stays dry, it shouldn't go bad. He's had some last him for over 10 years. His beer is usually good, so I believe he knows what he's talking about. The only thing I don't agree with him on is the sanitation issue, but that's a topic for another thread.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I would make a small test batch with just the DME. That will give you an idea of the residual bittering. If it is pre-hopped with tetra (a stable bittering compound), it should end up much like a Special Bitter. If they used hop resins, there probably won't be much left and it will be more like a Mild.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

You can also save those packets of dead yeast and add them to the boil on big beers...they can be used as yeast food that way.

Yeast hulls can be bought alone and in some "yeast charger" blends...they can also be used to help restart stuck fermentations.

Yeast Hulls (50g) | MoreBeer

I would make a mystery beer with the rest of the ingredients.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5729 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

thanks for all the suggestions!

I'll probably shoot for the mystery beer experiement first, see how it turns out and then decide what to do with the rest.

It's definitely DME, and it's still powdery -- the bags look like they have been sealed well.

Quick Reply