Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oktoberfestbier (lager) from Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Oktoberfestbier (lager) from Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter

Alright- tear me a new one and give me your opinions on this O-fest. There is surprisingly little on this site about actual Oktoberfest lagers on this site and I would like a good discussion.

October fest Octoberfest (for the benefit of those searching later)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.82 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Looks tasty but a little big. At least based on the BJCP Style guidelines. These beers are meant to be consumed in quantity. Going from 1.063 to 1.015 might be a a tad on the high side. Looks damn tasty though.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

To me, that looks like a great beer. The rich malty character from the Munich & Vienna ought to be fantastic. I think the W34/70 is probably pretty good if you're committed to a dry yeast (certainly better than S-23). Personally, I'd lobe either the WL833 (bock yeast) or the Wyeast Bavarian (2206). Those are both yeasts I love for imparting a rich character to the beer that would be great in an Octoberfest.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 06-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Looks tasty but a little big. At least based on the BJCP Style guidelines. These beers are meant to be consumed in quantity. Going from 1.063 to 1.015 might be a a tad on the high side. Looks damn tasty though.
SpanishCastle is right -- this is within 1 pt of being a bock (1.064). It is a high SG for an Octoberfest.
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 06-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

I was a bit worried about the size as well. I was hoping it would finish a bit higher at around 17 points, but I usually get great attenuation so maybe that isn't likely. I will be doing a deco though, so hopefully that will help me keep some long chains in tact.

Maybe I will drop it down a couple points, or just make the volume bigger....

I have just started using dry yeast for the first time and so far I am pretty happy. I like not having to make a starter, but this beer is definitely pushing my limits for what a dry yeast can be used for.

Honestly, I would use a liquid yeast, but I am expecting my first child any day now and this is getting brewed on a triple AG brew day with two of those being deco mash schedules and all of that is happening with me watching a 1.5 week old little girl. Ambitious? Yes. But I will have lots of help.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I didn't see you were doing a decoction. That will be a long brewday!

I brewed my Marzen (same thing) using the liquid version of that yeast (Wyeast 2124) and mine finished a tad high @ 1.016 (from 1.061...mine was too big too). I was trying to naturally carb it in a keg (one of my earliest attempts at that) and I think that affected the high-ish FG. I'm carbing it now and will steal a pour soon but I'm expecting it to be a little too sweet. I did a decoction on that one.

EDIT: and congrats on the little girl!

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I wouldn't put the Hersbrucker in a 90 min. boil at the 90 min mark. I'd wait until after hot break... so maybe 60 or 75 min.

I haven't studied up on Oktoberfests too much (Helles on the other hand...), but are all those grain types necessary? Most German beers tend to be simple in the grist department.

The second step temp seems a little low... the beer might dry out too much since some saccharification is occuring at the 133 step. You might consider 156-158°F.

I hope I don't sound too critical. Those are just some thoughts. You could brew that beer as-is and I would drink it in a heartbeat.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Great stuff guys. There is no way you can be too critical.

Most of the recipes I have seen use these or some variation of these malts. I doubt they are all necessary, but it seems to be the norm and I haven't found enough information to get creative on my own. I should listen to JZ's podcast again, but I am a bit busy now

I was planning on putting the Hers' in after the break, so maybe I should move that to a later addition... good call, else I will end up with like a 110 minute boil.

The main Sacc rest temperature is a bit tricky. I want this to be a big rich O-fest to be a nice counter to the Helles it will be served next to, but I want to be able to drink it by the Maß. I agree 153 may be a bit low, but I fear that if I raise it to 156+ I will be left with a too chewy fest bier and it won't be as popular.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
The main Sacc rest temperature is a bit tricky. I want this to be a big rich O-fest to be a nice counter to the Helles it will be served next to, but I want to be able to drink it by the Maß. I agree 153 may be a bit low, but I fear that if I raise it to 156+ I will be left with a too chewy fest bier and it won't be as popular.
Good point... and with the decoction, you'll still get plenty of dextrins in there. I'd be interested to know your % attenuation on this if you do decide to stick with 153°F.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Well, a guinea pig I shall be. I will report back.

Quick Reply