Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oktoberfest Style Ale Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #21
tlw08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I recently made this recipe, in essence.

The recipe: Hopville : "Homecoming Oktoberfest Ale" Altbier Recipe

Brewed using partial mash steep method with a protein rest. (30 min at 130, 30 min at 158, 30 min at 170).

It was in essence an altbier, with beautifully subtle floral aromas and a clean, sweet flavor with no discernible bitterness. Color was a dark amber (should've used a late extract addition but didn't), very clear (used secondary + whirlfloc), with a thick head. Well appreciated by my light beer drinking friends.

Will enter it in a competition soon; not sure if I will enter it under Oktoberfest, Dusseldorf Altbeir or Specialty Beer. Any recommendations?

Last edited by tlw08; 09-09-2009 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Fixed Link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
DNW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just a side note...

I visited the Harpoon brewery in Windsor (VT) a few weeks ago. The tour guide said something about their Oktoberfest being an ale. So when the tour was over I talked to him to clarify. When I said I understood that OF was traditionally a lager, he said "No, I don't think so." Well, being a newbie and all, I didn't feel comfortable enough to straighten him out, I just said "Oh, must be I just assumed that since it was a Bavarian style, where lagers come from, and since it was brewed in March while it was still cold and then cellared over the summer the way a lager would be, that it was a lager." "Nope" said he...

And then I came home and made sure I wasn't going crazy...

And finally, after waiting all summer, I popped my keg of Oktoberfest (lager!) back in the fridge and started carbing it. Even after just two days I think I'm I'm glad I went the "alternate" route and lagered it (fermented at 52° for 3 weeks, then lagered at 35° for two months, then let it rest at 70° for another month while I made room in my kegerator).

-David

Brew on...

Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
tracyarn
Recipes 

Yesterday we brewed this recipe using Cry Havoc! It's around 61 deg. in my basement where it will ferment.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #24
tieflyer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwmgdman View Post
If anyone has looked at the recipe and was thinking of trying it here's a little report. 8 days after bottling, the beer tastes good, but is flat as a board. I think I'll shake them up a bit and let them sit for another 2 weeks before trying them.

My environment where my beer sits to carb is same for all batches, but it is amazing how different the carbonation progresses depending upon the flocculation of the yeast. I've had one done carbing in as little as 7 days (with 1056) and now my Oktoberfest (1338) looks like it will take a good 3 or 4 weeks (about the same amount of time as a beer I did with nottingham dry yeast).

I think I'll post when it's carbed fully on the taste. FWIW, like at bottling time, the beer is tasty.

Banana dance for bubbles:

Just curious how this ended up tasting? How long til it carbed up?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #25
adagiogray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As soon as my belgian/Chimay clone gets out of primary, I'm giving this one a go. I *love* Oktoberfests, but don't have the means to lager. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #26
thomismydad
Recipes 

Been eyeing this one for over a month while waiting for a saison to dry out. Hope to brew this weekend.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #27
adagiogray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, the moment my primary frees up, this is going in. Was reading some articles on ale imitations of Oktoberfest, and this one, the grains, the yeast, the IBUs and color are spot on. The only thing I may tweak is maybe adding 4 oz or so of chocolate malt.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #28
thomismydad
Recipes 

Ooooo, that sounds tasty and I just happen to have a little extra chocolate malt handy.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #29
HopnHooch
Recipes 

Here is a pretty good podcast on the style, not as entertaining as most, but very true to form:

http://s125483039.onlinehome.us/arch...il03-27-06.mp3

If you are into brewing up a Marzen check it out.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #30
thomismydad
Recipes 

Brewed tonight, everything went great and added the 1/4 pound of choc malt. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply