Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oktoberfest Style Ale Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
Exo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think the sub-title on my bottles will be:

I wanted be an Oktoberfest, but instead of being brewed in Germany (by a German) during the month of March then cold-stored in some cave only to be drank during fall festivals (by Germans)...some inconsiderate English-German-Norweigan-Swiss-Scottish bloke brewed me in Wisconsin...and with an ale yeast! The nerve!!!

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
I think the sub-title on my bottles will be:

I wanted be an Oktoberfest, but instead of being brewed in Germany (by a German) during the month of March then cold-stored in some cave only to be drank during fall festivals (by Germans)...some inconsiderate English-German-Norweigan-Swiss-Scottish bloke brewed me in Wisconsin...and with an ale yeast! The nerve!!!

I love it! Any homebrewing friends would probably get a laugh and everyone else would just be confused, but that's usually what happens when I'm in mixed company (brewers/non-brewers) and I get all excited and start talking about my next batch.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 08-11-2006, 04:08 AM   #13
uwmgdman

Recipes 

If anyone has looked at the recipe and was thinking of trying it here's a little report. 8 days after bottling, the beer tastes good, but is flat as a board. I think I'll shake them up a bit and let them sit for another 2 weeks before trying them.

My environment where my beer sits to carb is same for all batches, but it is amazing how different the carbonation progresses depending upon the flocculation of the yeast. I've had one done carbing in as little as 7 days (with 1056) and now my Oktoberfest (1338) looks like it will take a good 3 or 4 weeks (about the same amount of time as a beer I did with nottingham dry yeast).

I think I'll post when it's carbed fully on the taste. FWIW, like at bottling time, the beer is tasty.

Banana dance for bubbles:

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
Rottnme
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bump. How did this turn out? I am thinking about using the 1338 on a similar recipe, any advice?

Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #15
neuron555
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd be curious to know too. I have an true Oktoberfest lagering right now, but last year I did an ale version using Kolsch yeast (WLP029). It is a very clean ale yeast and it turned out great. One of my favorites so far, but I'm looking forward to comparing the last couple bottles with the real thing.

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

Neuron Nanobrewery

Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The style police are lurking

Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3148 Times on 3056 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I'm looking at brewing an Octoberfast as well but I'm having trouble picking out what dry ale yeast I should use. I'm thinking Windsor or S-04 (because I have oodles of packs around) but is there a better dry choice out there?

I mail order most of my ingredients and UPS/FedEx can be trusted to take a day or three longer than "scheduled" getting my shipments to me. Liquid yeast isn't an option in the summer.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, it's a personal taste issue, to be sure... but since an "Oktoberfest"-style Ale hammers the maltiness without a high IBU, I prefer to use a clean-finishing high attenuating yeast, so that the final product will lighten up and won't be as cloyingly sweet. In that vein, I prefer to use the US-05 over the S-04, but you won't go far wrong with the S-04. All in all, I'd rather Notty, but that's neither here nor there.

My first Oktoberfest-Style Ale used a San Francisco Steam Ale yeast, but that was a liquid yeast. I'm currently bubbling up one on top of a US-05 yeast cake from BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
rnrchemnerd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was under the impression that Octoberfest style beers had minimal amounts of crystal malts. A full pound of caramunich seems a tad excessive to me. Any thoughts?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #20
Symin6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrchemnerd View Post
I was under the impression that Octoberfest style beers had minimal amounts of crystal malts. A full pound of caramunich seems a tad excessive to me. Any thoughts?
you are right that is too much if you want to go by the BJCP style guidelines. also it should have NO aroma so id take out the last hop strike as well. I would not call that recipe a octoberfest beer at all. but at the same time i am down with just making things up to see how they taste.

Cheers!

Quick Reply