The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oktoberfest - LHBS kit...needs adjustment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
bsay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Oktoberfest - LHBS kit...needs adjustment?

Hello all,

For my next brew, I am going to be making an Oktoberfest. I bought a kit from my LHBS (on sale, since it's close to October), and from the ingredient list, it looks like it could use some adjustment. Here's the stock kit:

1/2 lb. Crystal 20L (steep 20mins)
1/2 lb. Crystal 40L (steep 20mins)
6.6 lbs. Amber LME
1oz Willamet Hops (bittering) 60mins boil
1oz Vanguard Hops (aroma) 15mins boil
Pack of vaguely labeled dry yeast.

On the outside of the package, it said that it comes with Hallertau hops, which was a big draw for me in this kit, then they included a note in the kit saying they had to sub out hops. In Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" Willamet and Vanguard hops are not listed under good Oktoberfest hops. How would you adjust this kit?

Some ideas I thought of:
1. Get some Hallertau and use instead of Vanguard.
2. replace Crystal malts with 1/2 lb. Vienne and 1/2 lb. Munich Malts. (for more authentic flavor) My sources say the "L" value would be the same or very similar.

Thoughts?

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
carl spakler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post

On the outside of the package, it said that it comes with Hallertau hops, which was a big draw for me in this kit, then they included a note in the kit saying they had to sub out hops.

Thoughts?

I'd return it on the principle of it being falsely advertised, peruse the recipe section here for a well received Oktoberfest, and buy said ingredients from a reputable source.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl spakler View Post
I'd return it on the principle of it being falsely advertised, peruse the recipe section here for a well received Oktoberfest, and buy said ingredients from a reputable source.
I will talk to my LHBS about this, the kit isn't one of their in-house kits, it's some random company. I'll give the LHBS a chance to exchange hops, make things right, keep my business (what limited business I'll give them, I happen to like Austin Homebrew better anyway and have several of their kits on my wishlist awaiting purchase).

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Quick Reply