Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ok so I am confused, hefeweizen vs American wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
Jayfro21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ok so I am confused, hefeweizen vs American wheat

So I know what a hefeweizen is and what constitutes a hefeweizen. The banana and clove from the yeast, the simple grain bill, low IBUs. What I don't understand is what an American wheat is? Is it just that people don't want to call it a hefeweizen because its not brewed in Germany, or is a beer with a majority base malt of wheat and fermented with a wheat beer yeast, not necesarrily a hefeweizen yeast? For example, BierMuncher uses S-05 to brew his Litehaus wheat, but Dude uses WLP-320 (American Hefeweizen yeast) to brew his watermelon wheat. I guess I just need a little clarification. Thanks!

Jason

Primary 1: ESB
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3: Empty
Bottled: Nothing!
Up next: Common ESB, porter, probably some Belgian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

in german:
hefe = yeast
weisse = white
weizen = wheat

german styles use small amounts of hops and most of the flavor comes from the yeast, no specialty malts.

american styles sometimes use more hops, less estery yeast, etc. it basically means you have more freedom with the american style, as some of them still have banana flavor from the yeast, but just use more hops or different malts (even more barley)

i prefer a good german weisse-bier

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

To me, the greatest difference is the ester profile: American wheats don't have too many esters, they are neutral, you could even brew one with Cal ale yeast. For the German hefe you definitely need German yeast. Some brewers tend to describe Amercian wheats as bland, boring beers, that's why most have some spice or fruit added.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Many American wheats are simply brewed with regular ale yeasts to avoid the flavors of a german wheat. Even when american wheat yeasts are use, the do not act the same as german yeasts, they are in different families so to speak. They produce different flavors and sometimes different techniques are used to ferment them. American wheats tend to rely more on a wide variety of ingrdients such as hops and specialty malts, while geman weiss/weizens are more about the yeast, and rely on fewer ingredients. If you really want to know the specific differences, check out these guidlines.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

As you can see, they really are very different styles. About the only things in common are their light color and some wheat in the grain bill.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

A plain American wheat is a very bland style, which means that it makes a good base for fruit beers. It doesn't have a lot of character on its own.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Of course, then you make a wheat with the WB-06 dry yeast and have no idea what to call it. It's banana/clovey to a certain extent but who know exactly what the heck it is.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Everyone seems to like that odd beer that doesn't fit in the normal mold of good beer. For me it's Widmer Hefeweizen. In my imagination I taste alot more in it that is probably actually there but it's one of my favorite beers.

Still I see things I'd like to improve in it, and have some ideas floating around in my head.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
HP_Lovecraft
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also the "Hefe" refers to bottle-conditioning though secondary fermentation (ie bottle carbing).

Style-wise, American wheats use 50% or less, while German Weizens use mostly Wheat malts.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the hefe refers more to the yeast in suspension.. or the cloudy look than bottle conditioning.

Quick Reply