Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > official "tried and proven" recipe thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 AM   #31
bkov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

to me, "tried and proven" recipes are a lot different then "good" recipes. I "tried and proven" recipe to me is one that been brewed by many people, and the majority of the reviews are mostly raves. the recipes appeals to most people. some that come to mind are BMs centential blonde, applewiezen, and eds haus ale. i think if the recipe database only included tried and proven recipes, there wouldent be many at all.

A good recipe to me, is just a recipe that the brewer enjoys. of course everyones tastes and prefrences can vary greatly, so what might be great to someone, can be bad to another.

man has this thread got off topic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #32
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
to me, "tried and proven" recipes are a lot different then "good" recipes. I "tried and proven" recipe to me is one that been brewed by many people, and the majority of the reviews are mostly raves. the recipes appeals to most people. some that come to mind are BMs centential blonde, applewiezen, and eds haus ale. i think if the recipe database only included tried and proven recipes, there wouldent be many at all.

A good recipe to me, is just a recipe that the brewer enjoys. of course everyones tastes and prefrences can vary greatly, so what might be great to someone, can be bad to another.

man has this thread got off topic
Sorry to drag you off topic so far, bkov! It's just that at least once a week we have the same "post your best recipes" or "post the winners here" threads and the whole point of the database is to provide such a resource. We have an old sticky with links to some of the "famous" ones, which can be updated if someone wants to add to it.

We have a "rating" system for the recipes, with stars, and the "prost" button as well. We're doing the best we can to keep the database full of only tested and proven recipes. I don't know of any other way to accomplish it.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #33
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Since going AG, I've done nothing other than brew bitter. Tweaking it here, tweaking it there. Playing with this, playing with that......Until I get exactly what I want and repeated the brew successfully there is no way in hell i am posting it anywhere other than a thread that makes it quite clear that it is an experiment or just the latest attempt. I would have thought everyone else would be the same way when posting their babies on the interwebz.

Any recipe that I've looked at for pointers, I have always qualified by looking at the responses before trying any aspect of them. You just gotta be careful when grabbing other peoples recipes, just as you would be careful when grabbing a stranger's naughty bits.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Last edited by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible; 03-11-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #34
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Since going AG, I've done nothing than brew bitter. Tweaking it here, tweaking it there. Playing with this, playing with that......Until I get exactly what I want and repeated the brew successfully there is no way in hell i am posting it anywhere other than a thread that makes it quite clear that it is an experiment or just the latest attempt. I would have thought everyone else would be the same way when posing their babies on the interwebz.

Any recipe that I've looked at for pointers, I have always qualified by looking at the responses before trying any aspect of them. You just gotta be careful when grabbing other peoples recipies, just as you would be careful when grabbing a stranger's naughty bits.

Agree 100%. I have 2 recipies that I have brewed over and over, tweaking slightly here and there until I come up with something consisitant and awesome. 1 of them is almost ready, but I am waiting to taste the last batch I made even though I have had this final recipie for 3 batches and they have all been great.

I know this is what we should all do before posting recipies to the database, but there are a few in there that have ahhhh... less effort behind them. Perhaps this thread coming up will be the reminder we need to minimize those postings for awhile at least

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #35
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
...Don't post ALL of your recipes...
Who???

What???

Me????

I have more than my fair share...but I think they all have supporting background and tasting notes. I think. I'll have to go through and double check.

For me what makes the recipe database enjoyable are the write ups and comments about a recipe, more so than just reviewing gravities, grists and hop additions.

If someone is just posting the bare bones ingredients and not going to the trouble of offering some commentary...pass...

Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #36
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Who???

What???

Me????

I have more than my fair share...but I think they all have supporting background and tasting notes. I think. I'll have to go through and double check.

For me what makes the recipe database enjoyable are the write ups and comments about a recipe, more so than just reviewing gravities, grists and hop additions.
*ahem* I'll vouch for yours

Since your my goto pulldown when I'm looking for something new...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply