New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > official "tried and proven" recipe thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #21
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Dont go deleting any of my recipes... I dont have them saved anywhere else!!!!
The recipes wouldn't be deleted, they would just be moved to the recipes/ingredients forum.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #22
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Tasting notes can be as simple as- yum, good beer. Just as long as you document that this beer has been sampled! "don't know, not done yet" is a definite no-go.

So, since I think you've tasted all of the recipes that I posted, should I just put in there "Yooper liked it"?

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

So this thread has become another quarterly the recipe database is screwed up because some people post untested recipes there rather than in the recipes ingredients section rant???

This is mine from a couple months back...

Quote:
One of the problems and it is something that we hash back and forth a lot is that people post untried recipes into the recipe database (which also shows up in our pulldown menu) rather than in the Recipes/ingredients section...

Sadly there is no way to "police" this....we'd like to see only "tried and true" recipes in the database (meaning complete recipes that have been brewed at least once, preferably more and tasted and maybe even brewed by other brewers) and those become the HBT "canon" of official recipes..

And in the Recipes/ingredients forum we put our "experiments" as well as ask for feedback...Then once we feel the recipe is "good enough" to have other brewers brew it THEN we add our recipe to the "canon"

If you look at my pull down..you see only one recipe in there (and in the database) yet I have posted a lot of my recipes in the Recipe/ingredients forum..at least a half dozen, maybe more...

But I feel that my brown ale (even though I constantly tweak it and post the notes of variations in the thread) is the only one I "stand behind" right now enough to attach my name to it...

But like I said there's really no way to "police" it without coming off mean...some have suggested a voting system...some have suggested that 2 or 3 brewers have had to have brewed it before it goes into the database. But there is really no way to do it easily...

We kinda hope that people on here would just police themselves, and not add to the database unbrewed recipes..Not to at least post the recipe til they are drinking the beer...not the day before they brew it...and put that in the other section...but most new people don't know the distinction...

Oh well

One thing to do is to be selective in the recipes you brew on here...if you are around long enough, and read people's posts you get an idea of who has experience in creating recipes and who doesn't...Which recipes get brewed alot, etc....and trust the recipes by them...

When I'm looking for a recipe I start with those by people I know on here, like the Mods or some of the other brewers who help beginners because I know their brewing philosophy or level of experience, or have seen the response to their recipes..After those people I will look at the other recipes and see if the poster has updated or posted comments about their recipe, or if other people have as well..to see if anyone else has brewed it...then the next "tier" is those that look like the recipe was written AFTER it was brewed and bottled (once clue look to see if they put a final gravity in the recipe..if there is a question mark, or a blank, than more than likely it was put in there before being tested.)

Hope that helps...But to anyone lurking...post "experiments" in the forum...and recipes you trust enough and have brewed more than once, recipes good enough to release in the database...it makes it easier for other brewers to brew with trust.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 03-11-2009 at 01:00 AM.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #24
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul View Post
The recipes wouldn't be deleted, they would just be moved to the recipes/ingredients forum.
Would I still be able to access them from my "recipes" tab?

I never put in tasting notes, didnt know it was a "rule" to do so.

Bottom line, making someone say "yum good beer" doesnt mean that it is, and removing recipes won't give you the outcome that you are looking for.

Making tasting notes a requirement, doesnt mean that the beer has ever been tasted, that is just silly. It is like saying.. "click here if you are 18 or older to enter" and assuming that only people over 18 will click it.

Last edited by The Pol; 03-11-2009 at 01:06 AM.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #25
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So if you need positive feedback on your recipes PM me for shipping information. If you don't want to send beer, I'll give positive reviews on any beer for $20.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #26
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
So if you need positive feedback on your recipes PM me for shipping information. If you don't want to send beer, I'll give positive reviews on any beer for $20.
Great businessman.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #27
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Would I still be able to access them from my "recipes" tab?

I never put in tasting notes, didnt know it was a "rule" to do so.

Bottom line, making someone say "yum good beer" doesnt mean that it is, and removing recipes won't give you the outcome that you are looking for.

Making tasting notes a requirement, doesnt mean that the beer has ever been tasted, that is just silly.
I don't believe it will show under the recipes dropdown after being moved out of the recipe database, but it would still be available on your 'my topics' list.

The tasting notes I believe are a more recent feature, so older recipes won't have them at all. But I don't see anything wrong with requiring that people enter some notes about how the beer turned out. I do agree with a previous poster that the guidelines for posting a recipe to the db haven't been identified well enough and we should definitely do something to rectify that.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #28
The Pol
Recipes 

I never said that it is wrong to ask for tasting notes, but people are still going to post recipes that they have not brewed. I am only saying, you can make it a requirement, but that wont make all the recipes tried and true by any means.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #29
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
I never said that it is wrong to ask for tasting notes, but people are still going to post recipes that they have not brewed. I am only saying, you can make it a requirement, but that wont make all the recipes tried and true by any means.
Yes I quite agree. But if people see a field called 'tasting notes' one would hope they realize they need to have actually tasted the beer before they post. The ones that get by can be reported to a mod via PM or the report post button and they can be moved. It's not perfect but without doing full moderation on the db (which nobody would want to see I think) it's a pretty good compromise.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #30
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

We've had this conversation about fifty times in the past. I don't think there's a better solution that what we have; honor system that the recipes you choose to post are ones that are proven (my simple test; would I offer this recipe without hesitation to a buddy?). If not brewed, don't post. Don't post ALL of your recipes; this is a resource for the community, not the individual brewer, so selectivity is key.

Ultimately, though, you know the posters, you know who knows their stuff. I'll take a recipe of Yuri's or Brad's or Yooper's or lots of other "vets" just because I know and trust them; someone newer, I might be more hesitant (a guy like Denny Conn, of course, no hesitation!). Just like you learn who to listen to by reading a lot of posts, brewers here develop their credibility over time, there are no shortcuts. I think that's natural and that makes sense. Ideally, IF you do brew someone's recipe, make a note of that in the recipe database and give some feedback.

I don't see any way of being able to PROVE all the recipes are good, short of sending the whole Mod Squad a bottle prior to posting.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply