Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Multiple - OFFICIAL Kate the Great Russian Imperial Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #21
SumnerH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Darkness is fairly easily available (where Surly distributes) and is on shelves for a few days as of this year anyway. That puts it about on the level of Hopslam etc.
Yeah, not all of them are impossible to get and there are certainly other things that are harder to find. It's more the carnival/party atmosphere of the release parties that identifies those 6; those release days you have folks bringing all kinds of rare stuff to open in the parking lot, lots of stuff being brought out by the brewery itself, and basically just a big beer-geek party. Dark Lord Day or Kate the Great Day or Pliny the Younger day are huge parties; Westy 12 or Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorosa releases aren't even though those beers might be just as rare.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm pretty sure this is at least partially aged in port barrels so you may want to add some port-soaked oak into the secondary. Weird that he didn't mention any brown sugar, he mentioned it when talking about Kate in the past.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #23
Ralelen
Recipes 

Necropost! I think Im going to do this in June for a December 2011 "release". Do you guys think I should pitch 3 packets of yeast, do 2 in primary and 1 in secondary, or do a one gallon starter?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #24
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralelen View Post
Necropost! I think Im going to do this in June for a December 2011 "release". Do you guys think I should pitch 3 packets of yeast, do 2 in primary and 1 in secondary, or do a one gallon starter?
depends whether you're using dry or liquid yeast. for dry, use 2 packs, for liquid use a 1 gallon starter. adding extra yeast in the secondary would be kinda useless.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #25
webbcreative
Recipes 

Brewed this one up today! I will let you guys know how it turns out. Was a great brewday all in all, and I hit 1.106 for my OG! Thats the highest OG I have hit to date.

Bottled: Deschutes Black Butte Porter Clone, Epic Pale Ale Clone, Amber Ale, Chimay Blue Clone [Split Batch, Half with Lindemans Kriek added 2% total] RIS, Bourbon Oak-Aged Imperial Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Foreign Export Stout, Apfelwein
On Deck: ???

Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #26
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbcreative View Post
Brewed this one up today! I will let you guys know how it turns out. Was a great brewday all in all, and I hit 1.106 for my OG! Thats the highest OG I have hit to date.
Did you use the exact recipe here? Are you planning to age it with port soak wood?

When is the anticipated tapping? I want to do this one but if I'm going to wait 6 months for it, I want to make sure I have the right recipe.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #27
cyraxx
Recipes 

Never had the pleasure of trying this beer, but I just wanted to point out that in the recipe that was given by the brewer he said "3% Carafa DH #3". I'm assuming that the DH means de-husked, so that would make it Carafa Special 3.

As a side note, I can't believe how little roasted malt this beer has...only 7% (including the Carafa). Can someone who has had the beer comment on its level of roast?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #28
molsonG
Recipes 

0.75 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain
0.63 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain

.5 roasted barley + .25 black + .25 chocolate + .75 carafa doesnt seem to low, 1.75pounds for a 5g batch, plus the special b and 120

Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #29
webbcreative
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo155 View Post
Did you use the exact recipe here? Are you planning to age it with port soak wood?

When is the anticipated tapping? I want to do this one but if I'm going to wait 6 months for it, I want to make sure I have the right recipe.
Yes I used the exact recipe that Tod gave out.

I have never had KtG, so im not sure about the port soaked wood, and I can't find any reference to them using it anywhere. But on several reviews for it I have seen it mentioned by tasters. So Im going to split the batch and do half with port soaked oak chips I got from my father-in-law, why not!

And I will probably try the first "official" bottle on my Birthday, which is Sept 15th. Depending on how it is then I will hold off till Christmas time to get into more of them. Since this is a big beer, I will be aging most of it for a year or more. [again depending on how good it is this year ]

I will let you know how they taste!
Bottled: Deschutes Black Butte Porter Clone, Epic Pale Ale Clone, Amber Ale, Chimay Blue Clone [Split Batch, Half with Lindemans Kriek added 2% total] RIS, Bourbon Oak-Aged Imperial Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Foreign Export Stout, Apfelwein
On Deck: ???

Last edited by webbcreative; 03-08-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #30
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From what I've been able to gather online, the port version is just that: a version of the original. Sounds pretty damn interesting, to tell you the truth, but it probably makes sense to do any port aging as a portion of a larger batch and then either taste as a standalone or blend.

Quick Reply