Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Odell IPA Clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
brokenanchor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Odell IPA Clone (back on track)

Sadly, I drank the remaining two Odell IPAs I had last night. On the other hand all I could do whilst drinking...other than watching Apollo and Rocky duke it out...was think "man I love this beer". Actually said it a couple times, which made my friend murmur something about the honeymoon suite at the motel 6 Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had made a clone, and if so, wouldn't mind sharing the recipe. Probably one of my favorite bottles artwork wise as well.

Last edited by brokenanchor; 09-30-2009 at 02:50 PM.
knightbeer39 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

damn shot down again

Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
Jif
Recipes 

If a recipe for this turns up I'd be all over it.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
serum67
Recipes 

Ok. I am in the process of putting this recipe together. I just tried this beer finally in Fort Collins during GABF and it blew me away. I talked in detail with a few people, involved in brewing it etc. I will post this as soon as I finish

Old 09-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I got to try it there in Fort Collins and it was fabulous. There Town Pump Ale was ever better!

Sadly it was a brief visit on the 4th of July. I emailed them and never received a response. I hope someone can get some info on this beer.

Can't buy it here so I can only try to dream about the delicious hops.

Sorry I had no useful information for this post, just got my mouth salivating.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Holy resurrected thread I didn't see that happening. When I created this post I was pretty new to brewing, so I had no idea how to put a recipe together, but now I think I might be up to the task with some help and experimenting. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to experiment since I'm brewing so many OTHER kinds of beers (I know it's a cryin' shame). However, I did come pretty damn close with a recipe this spring. I don't have beersmith with me so I can't do a print out right now, but this is the recipe I did. It definitely needs a little more malt background (maybe some biscuit?) It was also lacking in hop aroma so it needs something else there (Simcoe, Amarillo, more Chinook or Cascade?) When I think Odell's IPA I think of a citrus/floral smell, with grapefruit, pine and citrus flavors that finishes with a light caramel sweetness and hint of biscuit. I know there are some Odell fans out in Colorado, so if you all have any input bring it on.

9 lb Pale Malt
2 lb Vienna
1 lb Carmel 20L
0.5 lb CaraPils
1.0 oz Cascade @ 60
0.5 oz Chinook @ 30
0.5 oz Chinook @ 5
Mashed at 154*F
Nottingham Yeast fermented at 68*F

O.G. 1.063
F.G. 1.013
42 IBU's
7 SRM's

Last edited by brokenanchor; 09-30-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Jif
Recipes 

I thought I heard it's dry hopped with Simcoe, which would explain a piney/cirtusy aroma.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jif View Post
I thought I heard it's dry hopped with Simcoe, which would explain a piney/cirtusy aroma.
That's what I was thinking. The Chinook is close, and does add some grapefruit pine, but I'm sure Simcoe would up it a notch.

For reference this is what I made up against the actual thing. I'll try and make my next brew after the nut brown I do tomorrow another test batch

Ours

Odells

Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

It had some other citrus flavors, like pineapple & tangarine that made it so good in my mouth.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
serum67
Recipes 

That nose is pure citrus and DANK! I know for a fact, after speaking to the brewer, that it does indeed use COLUMBUS for the Hopback addition and dryhop. I will post my developed recipe soon... give me a week.

Last edited by serum67; 09-30-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply