Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > October Pumpkin Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
If you're gonna flavor a beer then my vote goes to wheat malt as a base. Maybe 70/30. wheat/2 row Add the spices in the secondary but don't overdo it, you'll be waiting a long time for it to mellow. You can always add more but you can't take it out.

I haven't made a pumpkin batch yet but have tried a few, the pumpkin taste is always real faint, they tend to taste like pumpkin pie because of the spices and not the pumpkin itself. I would think that whatever pumpkin taste you end up with would be easily overpowered by the more prominent (and harsh) tastes of roasted malts. Of course, I don't care for the harshness of the roasted malts in any of my beers so maybe I'm a bit biased.

My .02
Good points, indeed. the Pumpkinweizen recipe in my sig was about as pie-like as I'd like it to be.

I want this beer to exhibit more of a hoppy chocolate stout profile with a pumpkin-pie finish. I've selected citrusy hops to encourage more flavor from the pumpkin. The Irish yeast will work well with the large malt bill to keep the sweetness while fermenting efficiently.

Imagine a ball of pumpkin-pie filling dipped in chocolate. That's where I'm going with this recipe. But add a lot of bitterness to keep its drinkability. Brewed by June, this will really have settled by October and be quite enjoyable at a Halloween party. Chocolate, Citrus, Caramel and Pumpkin. It's trick-or-treat in a bottle.

Final question: if I added another pound or two of DME, would that be too big of a beer to be drinkable by Halloween? I'd like this to pack some punch in the ABV department.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I think I waited too long to drink the bottle you sent, the spice and pumpkin were faded.

How big you make this will depend on how cold it gets this year. I remember Trick-or-treating in snowsuits one year in Crete, IL and cutting grass the next. You have enough hops in there to handle the higher ABV.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-13-2006, 03:25 AM   #13
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I think I waited too long to drink the bottle you sent, the spice and pumpkin were faded.

How big you make this will depend on how cold it gets this year. I remember Trick-or-treating in snowsuits one year in Crete, IL and cutting grass the next. You have enough hops in there to handle the higher ABV.
I'm breaking into the last of my Pumpkinweizen. The taste has definitely settled, but it's still delicious. There's a slightly sour smell to it, I can't tell if it's from the hops, from sitting in a garage for months, from contamination, or if it's just normal. It's by no means undrinkable.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:52 AM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper359
Also, are you using fresh pumpkin for these brews? Where are you finding it this time of year? I am definitely interested in brewing this recipe.
I have 5-8 pounds of pumpkin in my freezer from last year just for this purpose. It's blended and put in vacuum sealed bags.

Same goes for my mangos for mead this summer. I purchased 9 unripe mangos a couple of weeks ago for $.39 each. They are ripe now. I cut them up and blended them and put them in vacuumed sealed bags also. They equal 3 lbs, 15 oz. I forget how much poundage I already have in the freezer. Should be enough for some tasty mango mead though.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:26 AM   #15
Ize
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm going to play tag-along and watch this thread Cheese, I'm really interested in how it's going to turn out. By the time I get things rolling I'm going to have to start on Holiday/Winter brews, but SWMBO, who's a Halloween FREAK might just be intrigued enough by this to give it a go. (not a major beer drinker) So maybe next year for me. It looks good.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 06-18-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
hunteraw
Recipes 

i've been planning on doing a pumpkin ale in august, to be ready in time for halloween and thanksgiving. if the first batch goes quickly, maybe i can make adjustments and turn out another, better one for christmas.

here's what i've been thinking. i dont' have promash on this computer, so no numbers, but how does this sound:

2-row
wheat
(good amount of wheat to let the pumpkin flavor come out)

biscuit malt
(i'm thinking the "crust" of the pie)

light brown sugar
(i want to up the alcohol content without making it too dark, and the molasses in the sugar might add some complexity)

pumpkin!
i've seen a lot of different ways of using pumpkin - in the mash, in the boil, primary, secondary... fresh, or canned, roasted or not... i've been warned specifically away from adding it to the primary at my LHBS, so i'm thinking either in the boil, or in the secondary.

some earthy, grassy hops...
enough to balance the sweetness, but definitely a supporting role

spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc.
it seems tough to get the amounts right on these.

anyone have any comments, especially on the biscuit and brown sugar?

can't wait to get this one started.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
mbreen01
Recipes 

Default Spice Additions

I've been checking out different pumpkin recipes and trying to decide if I'd like to brew one up this year. And of course, no two recipes are the same. But as far as spice additions go, I've not seen anyone adding cloves. Most spice additions have cinnamon, nutmeg, +/- allspice, +/- pumpkin pie spice, +/- coriander. Has anyone tried a cloves addition? I think the hard part is trying to decide what will produce a balanced spice addition.
Also, what would produce the most pumpkin taste...pumpkin added in the mash, boil, primary, or secondary? (provided the amounts are the same)
I've got to say, that the reason that I really enjoy brews like these is the fact that they are so complex and multilayered. When you add things, how you add things...maybe I just need to brew up 3 - two gallon batches and compare!

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Old 06-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #18
Chillibeerman
Recipes 

Interesting. We have the Circleville Pumpkin Show. The whole town goes wacko for pumpkins. It's not uncommon to see a 1,000 lb. one. We eat pumpkin pie, pumpkin chilli, pumpkin doughnuts, pumpkin burgers, pumpkin pudding, pumpkin spaghetti sauce, pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin, and yes pumpkin beer. I have tried a few different pumpkin beers and consider them repulsive. I alway see alot of buzz regarding brewing with pumpkin and I wonder if there is a good commercial version (Not Blue Moon) that the majority might consider tasty. I would like to make sure I am not giving it a bad rap.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #19
hunteraw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreen01
Most spice additions have cinnamon, nutmeg, +/- allspice, +/- pumpkin pie spice, +/- coriander. Has anyone tried a cloves addition?
i believe pumpkin pie spice has cinnamon, nutmeg and some of the others in it, so it's an "instead of" addition rather than an "in addition to"

from my (limited) experience, it's easy to overdo cloves - it's a very strong flavor, and if you want the showcase flavor to be something else (pumpkin!) it might be best to do without, or add very sparingly.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #20
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Default Commercial Pumpkin

The only one I've ever liked is Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. The spices are subtle, the pumpkin is subtle, but both are definitely there. They only make it during the fall and winter because they use fresh pumpkin.

It definitely does NOT taste like pumpkin pie in a bottle. I don't think I could handle that.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Quick Reply