Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Obsidian Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #31
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlstrings View Post
Brewing this at this very second. Any thots on use of s-04 here. I'm going to do it anyway, but I don't know how much it actually varies from the recommended strain.

~M~
Yes a good clean English Ale strain is best. Deschutes obviously has their own strain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #32
ftlstrings
Recipes 

this is black as death. I'm liking this already!

~M~

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #33
bhambrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2D View Post
The recipe posted above is not wholly correct. I hope whoever wants to make this reads this post and realize that the recipe called for Black patent and NOT black barley.
I just picked up the grains for this brew today, plan on brewing tomorrow...one of my all-time favorites!

I inputed the recipe into Beer Tools and scaled the recipe to 11 gallons. My brewhouse efficiency is normally 80%. Beer Tools calculates the SG at 1.080- much higher than the original at 1.068...so I guess I'm brewing an Imperial Obsidian Stout now!

After scaling the recipe, the total grain bill is now 32.5 pounds. My MLT is a converted Sanke Keg and this will be the largest mash I have attempted. In fact, I'm not sure I can fit everything in...should I be worried?? Any thoughts from someone who has tried a 30# sanke-mash?? Thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #34
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 45

You should be fine with 30 lbs in a 15 gallon mash tun. I have used 27 lbs in my 10 gallon cooler. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #35
bhambrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
You should be fine with 30 lbs in a 15 gallon mash tun. I have used 27 lbs in my 10 gallon cooler. Good luck!
Thanks for the info Tim. I realize now that I had the efficency settings wrong which is why my OG is so high. I'm still haven't mastered Beer Tools. In any case, I'm sure this will be a great beer as an imperial stout. Should be an interesting brew day, I'll let you know how it turns out. I think I'll call it BIOS: Bellingham Imperial Obsidian Stout!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 AM   #36
ftlstrings
Recipes 

Brewed this up yesterday, with typical "Two Cans Brewing" grain and hop subs, and it was happily bubbling away when I left for werk this morning. Checked it tonight after we took the kid trick or treating and she had blown the airlock completely off and had a tasty krausen billowing out of the carboy!

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #37
Prionburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this but subbed the hops for some galaxy I had recently got. I also used safale 04, which actually attenuated less than 002 finishing at 1.020. Malt profile was dead on, despite hops being way off (still delicious).

I'm going to attempt this again but with some more noble hop subs. Thinking EKG, crystal, Apollo, or cluster in the aroma/flavor.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #38
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm using this grain bill + oats and using Hallertau for the second hop addition in place of the williamette. Fermenting with wyeast 1318 London Ale III. I really want to brew an oatmeal stout for the fall hence the oats. I wonder though, will the wheat and oats be overkill for mouthfeel? I'm guessing that's why the wheat is in there, to give it that creamy finish that makes Obsidian so velvety. The yeast and hop changes are just because I have some washed 1318 and I bought 1/2 lb of Hallertau awhile back. Suggestions on the oats?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #39
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 45

JDFlow, I have made a few oatmeal stouts. I have used both instant flaked oats and golden naked oats with good success. Both add that silky/creamy mouthfeel you are looking for.

The golden naked oats are used like a crystal malt, and add a bit of sweetness and nutty flavor on top of the creamy mouthfeel. The grain is very small and you will need to adjust the grain mill to crack this malt. I made an oatmeal stout for a competition with naked oats that turned out really good and won me the trophy. This grain is not in every homebrew shop, though I am sure you could find in Seattle.

The instant flaked oats are very neutral and just give the creamy mouthfeel. With the instant flaked oats, I added to the top of the mash and just stirred them into the top couple of inches of the grain to help avoid a stuck runoff. You also want to use rice hulls with the flaked oats for sure-they get really gummy. I did a Rogue stout clone with flaked oats and it was very good, too. You can just use grocery store instant oats.

Either route, about 1/2 lb oats in a 5 gallon batch seems to have worked for me.

I think the Hallertau and 1318 will be great in an oatmeal stout.

Cheers, Tim

Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #40
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
JDFlow, I have made a few oatmeal stouts. I have used both instant flaked oats and golden naked oats with good success. Both add that silky/creamy mouthfeel you are looking for.

The golden naked oats are used like a crystal malt, and add a bit of sweetness and nutty flavor on top of the creamy mouthfeel. The grain is very small and you will need to adjust the grain mill to crack this malt. I made an oatmeal stout for a competition with naked oats that turned out really good and won me the trophy. This grain is not in every homebrew shop, though I am sure you could find in Seattle.

The instant flaked oats are very neutral and just give the creamy mouthfeel. With the instant flaked oats, I added to the top of the mash and just stirred them into the top couple of inches of the grain to help avoid a stuck runoff. You also want to use rice hulls with the flaked oats for sure-they get really gummy. I did a Rogue stout clone with flaked oats and it was very good, too. You can just use grocery store instant oats.

Either route, about 1/2 lb oats in a 5 gallon batch seems to have worked for me.

I think the Hallertau and 1318 will be great in an oatmeal stout.

Cheers, Tim
Thanks for the reply. I should be more specific, my question is would the addition of oats be overkill considering the wheat malt is already there.

Quick Reply