Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Obsidian Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #21
Willy Boner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well no good feed back on how this turned out. I know I can taste the Black Patent so I know there is quite a bit in there, just never have seen a recipe with so much of it. Usualy 1/4 lb is the most I have seen. Would love a good Obsidian Stout clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #22
cookietruck
Recipes 

mine turned out well. i used a bit more hops than the recipe called for as i had to do hops subs anyway.
smells mostly malty with a bit of hoppiness.
the malt profile dominates, but it's smooth, not much bitterness from the roasted grains. a little bit sweet. mine finished at 1.024
i don't drink alot of stouts. i just don't like most. like the yeti imperial stout. too roasty.
this obsidian stout clone...i like it. very drinkable.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #23
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I listened to this podcast today and just entered the recipe into BeerSmith. However, the IBUs I get using the Rager formula do not match what Jamil lists on the show. I get only 58.9 compared to his 73.4

I'm using the default AA% for the hops - perhaps that's where the difference is?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #24
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I listened to this podcast today and just entered the recipe into BeerSmith. However, the IBUs I get using the Rager formula do not match what Jamil lists on the show. I get only 58.9 compared to his 73.4

I'm using the default AA% for the hops - perhaps that's where the difference is?
Using whole or pellets? I try to input the actual AA% for each hop. I use whole hops almost exclusively and BeerTools defaults to pellets, so I have to go in and change to whole hop utilization. The IBU levels drop a bit using whole hops, and the Jamil show did not say the hops form as far as I remember. I am hopeful that as long as you followed the hops schedule, you will get the great results that Jamil and Tasty did on the podcast.

I just brewed this today,( I listened to the podcast, and put it all in BeerTools) I changed the utilization curve from "basic" which gave me 61.1 IBU, to Rager and got 71.4 IBU. Tinseth put me at 55 IBU, which is what the brewery quotes as the bitterness level. Hmmm, I never really thought about the wide range of the utilization curves before, and my numbers were sort of opposite yours? Weird that BeerSmith and BeerTools would give different numbers using the same curve. (I did sub Magnum (14%) for the Galena/Nugget(13%), so nothing odd there. Otherwise the Willamette(5.2 %) and NB(7.8%) were pretty much with the recipe.)

Well, the brew went perfect, hit 1.067 chilled to 65f and pitched a pint of Wyeast 1968 I got from a local brewpub this morning. Blowing off in 4 hours. Can't wait to try this one!

Last edited by TimBrewz; 03-01-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #25
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I was missing my IBUs by not accurately entering my boil volume early on. That changes the calcs drastically.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #26
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2D View Post
The recipe posted above is not wholly correct. I hope whoever wants to make this reads this post and realize that the recipe called for Black patent and NOT black barley.
Listening to the interview with the brewer, he definitely emphasizes Black Barley - why is there a suggestion that this isn't accurate? I'm thinking of trying this, and just curious as to why this is suggested.
Thanks.

UPDATED - never mind, found Jamil's tip on the canyoubrewit thread clarifying the use of black patent.

Last edited by psychobrawler; 03-28-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #27
Martin2D
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's supposed to be black barley malt (patent). Not just black barley.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #28
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Mine came out really nice, it scored a 40.5/50 in a homebrew competition here in Portland OR.

The only critical points were that it could be improved with a bit more roast character - which is my fault, I added the black patent with 20 minutes remaining in the mash (I have had issues with black patent adding too much astringency in the past) The judges thought the beer was great and balanced "no flaws" "I could drink a few pints of this" . Next time I will follow the CYBI instructions all the way.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #29
ftlstrings
Recipes 

Brewing this at this very second. Any thots on use of s-04 here. I'm going to do it anyway, but I don't know how much it actually varies from the recommended strain.

~M~

Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #30
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlstrings View Post
Brewing this at this very second. Any thots on use of s-04 here. I'm going to do it anyway, but I don't know how much it actually varies from the recommended strain.

~M~
It's more attenuative- similar if not identical to WLP007. Your beer will be a little less sweet, but I don't think that will be a problem. S-04 is a great yeast for stouts.

Quick Reply