Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > obscure recipe ingredients

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
ESROHDE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default obscure recipe ingredients

I have recently aquired some old recipes that have some ingredients I am not familiar with. My questions are, what are these ingredients, can they be substituted, if so with what, or can they be eliminated all together. The ingredients are: 35 grns. saccharine 550 and burnt sugar and block juice. Any assistance or info would be greatly appriciated. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
sconnie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Saccharine is fake sugar, like splenda or equal. Some old recipes used it for residual sweetness. I'd skip it.
Burnt sugar is probably exactly what it sounds like.
No idea what block juice is.
How old is this recipe? Is it "historical" or just a homebrew recipe that was concocted before quality ingredients were widely available? Judging by those ingredients, I might reconsider why you want to brew it, but that's just me.

currently brewing:
Meridian IPA
On Tap:
Bohemian Pils
Bottled:
-Baltic Porter
-Belgian Brettanomyces Amber

Old 05-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Is that "Block Juice" or "Black Juice?"

Is this a recipe for an historical porter perhaps?

If it is a porter, then Burnt Sugar could be “esentia bina” which is produced by burning a mixture of mollases and Sugar in a cast iron pan and dissolving it in boiling water. Black juice could be another name for "Spanish Juice" which is extracted from boiling liccorice roots. Both ingredients were pretty common in the brewing of early porters.

You can make both of those ingredients. Look at the december issue of Zymurgy, there's a great article on brewing a historical porter at Colonial WIlliamsburg, including their recipe...Which has directions for making both esentia bina and Spanish juice.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
ESROHDE
Recipes 

Default recipe ing.

the recipe goes like this 1 oz. balm, 5 oz. dandelion herb, 5oz. ground ginger, 2oz. block juice, 35grns. sacchrine 550, 2 1/2 lbs. sugar, 10 gal. water. This recipe comes from Mrs. Maude Grieves Culinary Herbs and Condiments Copyright is 1934 The Recipe is called Dandelion Stout

Old 05-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESROHDE View Post
the recipe goes like this 1 oz. balm, 5 oz. dandelion herb, 5oz. ground ginger, 2oz. block juice, 35grns. sacchrine 550, 2 1/2 lbs. sugar, 10 gal. water. This recipe comes from Mrs. Maude Grieves Culinary Herbs and Condiments Copyright is 1934 The Recipe is called Dandelion Stout

Can't help you....Even google just gives the same recipe over and over or quotes the same line about Dandelion Stout being a favorite of working people.....but no one bothers to define block juice.....My thought is that since it's a stout is really is Spanish Juice, or boiled liccorice roots...but that's only conjecture on my part.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I'd agree with Revvy, block juice is probably stick licorice.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #7
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Everything I have found on burnt sugar is called burnt sugar syrup. The recipes all call for equal parts sugar and water. In a heavy iron skillet, heat the sugar over medium-high heat till it begins to melt. Reduce heat to low and cook till sugar is melted and dark golden brown (about 5 minutes more). Stir with a wooden spoon as necessary after sugar begins to melt (as mixture bubbles). Very carefully add the hot water, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and boil gently for 3 minutes.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #8
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

According to 'The Science of Sugar Confectionery' by W.P. Edwards, "block juice is a solid block, resembling coal, but with the overpowering liquorice flavour and bitter-sweet taste." As far as where to find it, I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any. You might be able to use licorice extract as a substitute.

Nossie Likes This 
Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #9
ESROHDE
Recipes 

Default thanks

thank you all for the info I will skip the sacchrine but i have access to fresh licorice as well as extract, I will give the burnt sugar a try and let you know how it went

Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #10
sconnie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESROHDE View Post
Is this the entire recipe, or is there malt as well? This alone would hardly be beer...

currently brewing:
Meridian IPA
On Tap:
Bohemian Pils
Bottled:
-Baltic Porter
-Belgian Brettanomyces Amber

Quick Reply