Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Obscure recipe help...taking a wild stab at Graetzer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
phissionkorps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Obscure recipe help...taking a wild stab at Graetzer

Gotta brew for my Prussian heritage. I'm looking at something like (at 69% efficiency):

4.75lbs German Roasted Wheat
2.50lbs 2-row pale

1.5oz spalt select 4.0% 90 mins
1.0oz spalt select 4.0% 60 mins

Anyone brewed anything similar? Good...bad...suggestions?? Details please

Yeast will probably some WB-06 I have.

Btw, I ended up editing the homebrewing wiki on this style. It says the name is from Graetz, which is the German name for Grodzisk, a town in Poland near the German-Polish border. However, Grodzisk is actually closer to the border with Belarus, and Graetz is actually the German name for Grodzisk Wielkopolski, which is still not all that close to the German-Polish border, but much closer than Grodzisk (on the same side of the country at least).

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
phissionkorps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed last night. LHBS didn't have roasted wheat, and I don't have a way of roasting my own since I gave my smoker to my dad. In lieu of that, I used this instead:

1 lb smoked malt
4 lbs German wheat
2 lbs German pilsner

With an OG this low, I didn't want to go overboard on the smoke, so I'll up it next time if necessary. The OG was supposed to be 1.034, but I got 86% efficiency instead of my assumed 69%, and ended up at 1.048. Good thing the style is extinct so I can't be held accountable for butchering it lol

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply