Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oberon Clone AHS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Preiff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oberon Clone AHS

Hey everyone,

I have only been brewing for several months and am getting ready to start on my 5th batch. What can I say, I'm addicted! There is so much beer in my place that I could stay buzzed for months straight. Anyway, I came across an Oberon clone kit (extract w/ grains) on Austin Homebrew Supply and I was wondering if anyone has tried this or has any suggestions for such a recipe. I am from Kalamazoo, MI (home of Bells) and the release of Oberon each year has become a local holiday marking the end of winter. What better way to celebrate than with a homebrew honoring it. Any advice will be appreciated.

Happy Brewing!

Last edited by Preiff; 02-20-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I have come to the conclusion after trying to clone this thing 100 times that The yeast from the bottles has to be harvested to acuratley clone it.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Duster72
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are lots of recipes out there for Oberon. The consensus seems to be basically 50/50 wheat and 2-row (or wheat LME) and saaz hops. I did this with some cultured 2-hearted ale and am pretty disappointed. I would love to hear some feedback on the AHS recipe and am curious if it is pretty much the same recipe.

I am planning on trying again with some cultured Oberon yeast when baseball season begins.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Preiff
Recipes 

The clone recipe gives me two yeast options: White Labs American Hefeweizen (WLP320) or Wyeast American Wheat (1010). Do these sound like good strains to use? I think I'm going to go ahead and order and just see how it turns out. Hey, you never know till you try it. Maybe it'll be good. I'll keep everyone posted. A cold Oberon sounds great right about now.

Also, how do you go about harvesting yeast from a bottle? This is all so new to me. Sorry about the noob question, but what better way to learn than from brewers with experience.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
RICLARK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preiff View Post
The clone recipe gives me two yeast options: White Labs American Hefeweizen (WLP320) or Wyeast American Wheat (1010). Do these sound like good strains to use? I think I'm going to go ahead and order and just see how it turns out. Hey, you never know till you try it. Maybe it'll be good. I'll keep everyone posted. A cold Oberon sounds great right about now.

Also, how do you go about harvesting yeast from a bottle? This is all so new to me. Sorry about the noob question, but what better way to learn than from brewers with experience.
I have one going now with Wlp 320 and I added sweet orange too it, Without some sort of citrus notes it will be too bland and not oberon. If this doesn't work im going to use a wit strain. The actual Oberon strain is derived from Wit yeast that cannot be bought anymore.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Preiff
Recipes 

How much orange flavoring are you adding? Is it orange rind or just a flavoring? When are you adding it (boil, primary, secondary)?

The prosecution rests.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
RICLARK

Recipes 

I added 1 oz at 5 min. Its not done yet so I cant vouch for flavor. It is sweet orange peel I got from the LHBS.

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Quick Reply