Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oatmeal Stout Recipe Review (extract+grains)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Paulbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Oatmeal Stout Recipe Review (extract+grains)

HI All,

I am going to be making my first Oatmeal Stout this weekend. I have a LHBS that I go to to buy all my ingredients. They have been around for a quite a while, and the owner will grab ingredients off the shelf, from memory, for any recipe that I ask for. He does not have kits, and only has DME, as he has moved away from LME, as he feels DME always gives better results. BTW, freshness was not an issue when he was selling LME as he would sell A LOT of it.

I have always been happy with his recipes and advice that I get from him, as well as with the results, but I thought I would give a shout out here to all the other "experts" to get your take on this recipe.

This is for 10 gallons full boil. Steep grains 155deg for 30 min. 60min boil.

Oatmeal Stout
--------------
12 lbs Amber DME (Briess)
1lb Belgian Chocolate Malt 450L
1lb Bamberg Karaffe Malt 600L
2lb Roasted Barley 550L
1lb Hugh Baird Crystal 80L
1lb Flaked Barley
2lb Regular Oats (from my cupboard)
9-10 AAU's Kent Golding Hops 60mins
WL European Ale @ 65deg
WL Irish Ale @ 65deg

I ferment in two 6.5gal carboys and always use 2 different yeasts in a upright freezer with a Johnson Analog control.

Thanks in Advance.
Paulbill

Last edited by Paulbill; 07-22-2008 at 04:19 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

When you say, "Regular Oats", what kind of oats do you mean? I presume the 'quick' oats that you mix with water and stick in the microwave.

I'd change two things, otherwise. I'd ditch the Carafa - you've already got quite a lot of roasted grains in there, and it'll be quite black enough without the debittered black malt. I'd also save my EKG for aroma/dry-hopping purposes and sub another hops variety. You're using it for bittering, after all; why waste EKG, which has such a lovely flavor and aroma?

Flaked grains are difficult to include in an extract batch. There are no diastatic ingredients in the beer, which means that very little is actually extracted from the flaked grains. You'll get some of the oils and fatty acids from them, which will slightly enhance mouthfeel, but that's about it. I urge you to consider at least a partial mash whenever you use flaked grains; that way, you'll get all of the possible impact from the flaked grains.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 07-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Paulbill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info.
I was going to ask about the partial mash and the oats, but just found this thread -->
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=72973

So I think I will give it a try.

Regards,

Paulbill

Quick Reply