Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oatmeal Stout Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by AImhoff88 View Post
So it's possible to have a full-bodied beer that isn't creamy and a light-bodied beer that is?

Also, I saw that your recipe calls for a pound of flaked oats. I bought a kit that comes with 8 oz. of rolled oats. What is the difference between rolled and flaked oats? If I want to use a pound of oats, could I simply add 8 oz. more of Traditional Quaker Oats to the muslin bag? I figured traditional oats would be better than the instant or 1-minute oats since those have proteins stripped from them.
The reverse is true- you want to use Quick or instant oats unless you're cooking them or doing a cereal mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #22
AImhoff88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The reverse is true- you want to use Quick or instant oats unless you're cooking them or doing a cereal mash.
Obviously the oats will be cooked when they're added to the boiling mash. Did you mean cooking the oats BEFORE adding them to the mash? Also, what is the difference between the instant/quick oats and the traditional in terms of brewing?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by AImhoff88 View Post
Obviously the oats will be cooked when they're added to the boiling mash. Did you mean cooking the oats BEFORE adding them to the mash? Also, what is the difference between the instant/quick oats and the traditional in terms of brewing?
Your mash should NOT be boiling! Your mash should go no higher than 158 degrees.

Old fashioned oats, steel cut oats, etc must be cooked before using in the mash. That's to gelatinize the starches so they can work in the mash.

Quick oats are pregelatinized, as are the brewing flaked oats. They can go right into the mash.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
AImhoff88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Your mash should NOT be boiling! Your mash should go no higher than 158 degrees.

Old fashioned oats, steel cut oats, etc must be cooked before using in the mash. That's to gelatinize the starches so they can work in the mash.

Quick oats are pregelatinized, as are the brewing flaked oats. They can go right into the mash.
Haha sorry about that! Yes, the mash should not be boiling. I used the wrong word. Can you tell me more about flaked barley and oats?

Old 07-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #25
Joshone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Lil' Sparky, I've given your recipe a go. I actually am going to do two batches - one smaller batch I cooked last night and it went well. The second I plan to do a regular 5-gallon batch and move it into secondary. Do you have any tricks or tips on adding anything at secondary? This is my first go at a Stout.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #26
Marc77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshone View Post
Lil' Sparky, I've given your recipe a go. I actually am going to do two batches - one smaller batch I cooked last night and it went well. The second I plan to do a regular 5-gallon batch and move it into secondary. Do you have any tricks or tips on adding anything at secondary? This is my first go at a Stout.
I don't know if you like it but there is a no more vanilla stout on here that is phenomenal. Someone said it in a post but adding some vanilla beans in the secondary might be interesting. For the no more vanilla stout I took a growler, added a cup of woodford reserve and then 4 vanilla beans split down the middle. I did this on brew day and then each day I swirled the mixture around. After two weeks in the primary I poured in the growler contents into the secondary and then racked onto it. I'm going to make one of these recipes for an oatmeal stout but I think I'm going to use two vanilla beans instead of four.

Quick Reply