Oatmeal Stout & ESB- S-04 & Notty-- recommended pairings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Yeast/Recipe to use together?

• ESB and S-04, Oatmeal Stout and Nottingham

• ESB and Nottingham, Oatmeal Stout and S-04

Results are only viewable after voting.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
I am about to brew up an Oatmeal Stout and ESB this weekend, and I have S-04 and Nottingham in my inventory. Which yeast would you pair with which recipe and why?

ESB

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.27 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Golden Promise (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
1.00 lb Crystal Dark (75.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (90 min) (FiHops 4.9 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [7.40 %] (90 min) (First Wort HopHops 32.5 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Oatmeal Stout

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 36.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.22 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.50 lb Crystal Dark (75.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (90 min) (FiHops 9.8 IBU
0.50 oz Challenger [6.30 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hops 13.7 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU

In a choice of S-04 and Nottingham, I'd use S-04 for both.

Go with the S-04 on the ESB and the Notty on the Stout. You'll want some ester profile in the ESB and the roasted malts will cover most of that in the Stout anyway.

:mug:

I voted the same, although as much as everyone loves S-04 I haven't had good results from it yet, but I'm still trying. Nottingham does very well for me though.

I don't think S-04 reacts too well to temperature fluctuations or if it's too cold (62*F vs 68*F)

Nottingham just doesn't care. I'm pretty sure it could ferment a rock given the right hydration process. :D

I don't think S-04 reacts too well to temperature fluctuations or if it's too cold (62*F vs 68*F)

Nottingham just doesn't care. I'm pretty sure it could ferment a rock given the right hydration process. :D

+1 Notty is just a machine in the Yeast world
I have made quite a few Stouts and have always used Notty with good results.

I just brewed an oatmeal stout using Weyermann smoked malt and Wey. grains. I used WYeast #1007 "German Ale." It's not finished fermenting yet, but based on preliminary tastes I really like what's going on there. I think it's a good match so far.

Nottingham has a slight "dry English" character to it IMHO and I *believe* it's what I used for a recent ESB of my own. I'd have to check my notes at home to be sure. The S-04 is more "bready" so I think it'd pair better with the Oatmeal.

I'd use the S-04 for the OS and Notty for the ESB.

Both are good choices for the S-04. My last two oatmeal stouts have been two of my favorite brews and both used S-04. However if you had to chose then I would use the S-04 for the more character in the ESB and use Notty in the Stout where the grain based flavors are more dominate.

Craig

US-04 would be best for both, but if you have to choose pitch the 04 in the ESB. It needs the lower attenuation.

So good insight, and pretty evenly split. In beersmith I already had the S-04 for the ESB and the Notty for the Oatmeal stout, but thought I'd see what others with possibly more experience were thinking.

So far I haven't really seen anything to sway me away from my original plans.

However, doing an S-04 starter is an idea, although I do not think I have ever seen anyone do that with dry yeast, although I do not know why you couldn't...

Back