Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oatmeal mild recipe critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 AM   #11
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Still a lot going on there. Dextrine, oats, and victory are not really necessary, though the oats would make for a nice mouthfeel. I would brew something like this though sub the molasses for invert - which is actually easy to make at home. (http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert).

70% Maris Otter
10% Crystal 60L
7% Flaked Oats
5% Crystal 120L
3% Chocolate
5% Molasses

Though experimentation is one of the joys of brewing. Good luck with the brew!

Edit: It should be noted that some very good, complex milds can be made with a lot less ingredients. Pale, crystal, and chocolate with a full flavored yeast makes for a great mild too.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

great! thanks!

For this experiment goal was to use oats in a mild so that needs to stay. If I can find treacle or invert sugar I'll sub that out. and as for the victory, I haven't used that in a long time and have a pound that needs at least some used. ( I put that in my IPA too in .25 lb-.5 lb amounts and like what it does there)

I'm going through that same mild kick myself and have a few bigger beers going or on deck, and always like to have something lighter on tap #2. brewed some all grain mild kits and trying to formulate a unique mild of my own using elements from other beers I like. tough build!~

thanks for the help!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Still a lot going on there. Dextrine, oats, and victory are not really necessary, though the oats would make for a nice mouthfeel. I would brew something like this any day, though sub the molasses for invert - which is actually easy to make at home. (http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert).
Easy if you aren't a klutz like I am

Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 AM   #14
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Still a lot going on there. Dextrine, oats, and victory are not really necessary, though the oats would make for a nice mouthfeel. I would brew something like this though sub the molasses for invert - which is actually easy to make at home. (http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert).

70% Maris Otter
10% Crystal 60L
7% Flaked Oats
5% Crystal 120L
3% Chocolate
5% Molasses

Though experimentation is one of the joys of brewing. Good luck with the brew!
thanks for the invert recipe! That recipe sounds better with upping MO like both you guys said.

Thanks again. putting order in for more MO and some 60L crystal.

Milds are tough to play with as the wiggle room is so slight.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
great! thanks!

For this experiment goal was to use oats in a mild so that needs to stay. If I can find treacle or invert sugar I'll sub that out. and as for the victory, I haven't used that in a long time and have a pound that needs at least some used. ( I put that in my IPA too in .25 lb-.5 lb amounts and like what it does there)

I'm going through that same mild kick myself and have a few bigger beers going or on deck, and always like to have something lighter on tap #2. brewed some all grain mild kits and trying to formulate a unique mild of my own using elements from other beers I like. tough build!~

thanks for the help!
I have found that brewing/creating a recipe for a good mild is WAY more challenging than brewing a good bitter, namely because we don't have access to antyhing that ressembles a mild this side of the pond and that the commercial examples seem to be all over the place as far as recipe goes (ie. using brewer's caramel to darken the colour instead of roasted malts, huge amounts of invert, etc.).

Bitters and pale ales are usually more straightforward and we have access to more info. Plus, getting the malt and mouthfeel to shine in a sub 1.050 brew is a technical challenge. In a bitter you can always fall back on hopping to keep things interesting.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 AM   #16
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

EXACTLY! the kits for milds have been ok, but missing something... which is why I went with oats. taking victory out. and going with invert recipe.

I love this board! Wish I had it when I started brewing back in the 90's the first time!

thnks again! Will post final recipe specs and critique in the recipe forum with kudo credits to you.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Skipper74
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Starrfish, did you end up brewing this and, if so, how did it come out? I am thinking of adding oats to a mild that I will brew this weekend and hoping for some thoughts.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you want more body use UK mild malt in place of maris otter or a blend of both

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Quick Reply