Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oatmeal Cookie Stout Recipe Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
dachbach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oatmeal Cookie Stout Recipe Review

I'm going to brew an oatmeal stout for my second AG. I based this recipe off of one I found on here plus some ideas from Radical Brewing. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Grains
7# 2 Row
1# Flaked Oats (Will probably toast at 300 degrees for 30 minutes)
.75# Brown Sugar
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley
.5# Victory
.5# Crystal 40
.5# Crystal 120
2 ounces molasses

Hops
2 ounces Williamette at 60 min

Yeast
Wyeast Irish Ale (1084)

Misc.
Maybe a dash of vanilla extract???

Hopville is giving me 1.063 O.G., 1.017 F.G., 39 IBU's, 6.1 ABV and 35 SRM.

I was going to mash at 155 (I'm still figuring out what the different mash temps do to final product so would appreciate suggestions on this!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
rcsoccer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would say that you could mash around 155 and be fine. The oats and crystals are going to add some mouthfeel as well. I would add the molasses either at the end of the boil, right before chilling, or a couple of days into the fermentation. If you boil the molasses, you'll end up with zero flavor from it and the simple sugars will energize the yeast and dry the beer out. Other than that, I would say it looks fine.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply