New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oatmeal? Cherry? Chocolate...Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
mdf191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oatmeal? Cherry? Chocolate...Stout?

I am itching to brew a stout for the winter. Somehow until this point stouts have not found their way into the list of beers I have brewed. So now that I have decided the time if right I have alot of built up stout enthusiasm. I am finding myself wanting to brew three different kinds of stouts, choc, oat or cherry, and I cant choose! So now im thinking...what about a combination..? Cherry chocolate, or oatmeal chocolate, or cherry oatmeal...? OR all Three in one!
Since I havent made a stout yet and im sure lots of you have made nearly all these individual styles and maybe even combined some, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. Does anyone think one combo would be better then another? Or if one combo would cancel out one anothers flavors? Any insight you all have would be great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

oatmeal chocolate would probably be pretty good, I'd avoid the cherry

cherry stout is disgusting

Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think the three-in-one option would suck. Not that it wouldn't work exactly...

Brew Your Own ran an article this month on porters (I know... But it's close) that hit on a great point I think is relevant to stouts as well...

Your beer should emphasize a certain characteristic without being "busy". It then mentioned that chocolate flavour does well, or strawberry (or cherry, you get the idea) but you have to be VERY careful making chocolate-covered cherry because you could distract from the fact that it is a porter (or stout).

Perhaps, and this is only the opinion of a rather new brewer, you could do a cherry chocolate stout (they ran an article on chocolate malt this issue too, maybe it's worth picking up!) and use a HINT of oatmeal to add mouthfeel and head, but keep it toned down enough to not impact flavour too much.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #4
mdf191
Recipes 

bump,
Anyone else have opinion. I feel like there must be alot of you who have brewed or tried these kind of stouts.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

Before you try to make a complicated stout, try brewing a good plain stout, then add other ingredients to that recipe.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd go with a chocolate stout. And not necessarily one where you add chocolate. A nice combination of chocolate malt and roasted barley will give a suprising amount of chocolate flavor.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The May 07 2007 Jamil Show broadcast has a recipe for Chocolate Cherry Stout. He bases it on a Foreign Extra Stout recipe but I would think an Oatmeal Stout base recipe would work.
However one thing mentioned in the show is if you want a good fruit and/or spiced beer, you need to start with a good base beer recipe. Since you havn't brewed a stout yet you may want to consider brewing a couple base stouts, like an Oatmeal or Foreign Extra, before adding chocolate and cherries to it.

Craig

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
…Since you havn't brewed a stout yet you may want to consider brewing a couple base stouts, like an Oatmeal or Foreign Extra, before adding chocolate and cherries to it.

Craig
I’d agree. I’ve talked with the brewmaster of the local micro brewery and he emphasizes that stouts are about simplicity.

You can hardly go wrong with an oatmeal stout. If you’re inclined, bottle half as is and then add some chocolate flavor for the other half at bottling time.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply