Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > To Oat or Not To Oat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
jimpdx
Renaissance Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default To Oat or Not To Oat?

I'm researching various approaches to Wit. Will be playing with the fruit, herbal and spice notes a bit. However I can't really find a strong argument for or against oats in this style of beer? Any thoughts? I see it included in some recipes but not others. This will be an all grain 5.5g batch, fairly straightforward techniques.

Recent Brews: Crazy Horse Native American Pale Wheat, Sacre Bleu Napoleonic Stout, Akbar Emperial Indian Ale, Polly's Rum Raisin Smoked Porter, Citadel Belgian Quad, Carmen Caipiranda Tropical IPA (last 12 months)

https://facebook.com/albertabrewingco
https://untappd.com/albertabrewing (beers made)
https://untappd.com/jimpdx (beers drank!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This past winter we brewed a wit using wheat LME, 9 oz of 2-row, and 8 oz of quick oats. This isn't my favorite wit recipe but it's quick and does the trick, plus all my BMC drinking friends like it. Anyway, the mouthfeel with the oats instead of flaked wheat seemed a little smoother, and the beer was a bit richer. I got just a hint of chocolate in the hydro sample according to my notes, but I *was* drinking at the time...I would gladly put oats in a witbier again.

I think if you were looking for a lighter wit, maybe pass on the oats (although you want some unmalted grain, whether wheat or oats to match style). If you were trying to make a bit beefier wit, it would go very well.

I have only brewed with rye once and it's still in the secondary, but you might get an interesting spice note from the rye along with the rest of the herbs in a wit. That would be another way to get the unmalted grain into your mash tun.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 09-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Why? You have wheat. The oats add very little that wheat doesn't. They certainly don't add any flavor.

Quick Reply