Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oaked Petite Saison D'Ete

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bd2xu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 773
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Default Oaked Petite Saison D'Ete

I made the Northern Brewer Petite Saison D'Ete recipe on 7/2, modifying it slightly by adding in the zest of one orange, zest of one grapefruit, and 4 peppercorns with 10 minutes left in the boil. Also switched the hops around using 1/2 oz Chinook at 60, 1/2 oz Simcoe at 10, and 1/2 oz Amarillo at flameout. I put the zests and peppercorns in a nylon bag with the Amarillo so they were only in until I transferred to primary. Pitched a starter of 3711 on 7/3. Fermented at basement temp of 72-74 and just let it go. Checked the OG today and it's at 1.005, tastes great.

I've had a couple oaked saisons, Goose Island Sofie (a special version) being one where it was oaked in chardonnay barrels. I wanted to get some oak flavor in here so tonight I racked to secondary and added two ounces of medium toast French Oak chips that i soaked in Chardonnay over the weekend. Plan on leaving it in secondary on oak for 3 weeks and then starting to taste.

Question: Would soaking the oak in chardonnay for only 4 days impart any of the wine flavor?

Question: I didn't sanitize the oak chips... other than soaking in wine but that probably didn't do anything. I got the chips from the LHBS, they were not just BBQ smoke chips or something like that. Am I taking a big risk not steaming or boiling these first? We will see I guess...

__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Oktoberfest, Mojave Red
Secondary: Roggen 'n Rollin
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."
bd2xu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Magic8Ball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Benton County, Arkansas
Posts: 239
Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
Question: Would soaking the oak in chardonnay for only 4 days impart any of the wine flavor?

Question: I didn't sanitize the oak chips... other than soaking in wine but that probably didn't do anything. I got the chips from the LHBS, they were not just BBQ smoke chips or something like that. Am I taking a big risk not steaming or boiling these first? We will see I guess...
The amount of chardonnay you are talking about is way too small to give much of anything to the flavor profile of the beer. Plus I don't think there is enough alcohol content in the wine to sanitize the oak. Use a cheap vodka as it is very neutral and i will only slightly bump your abv. I have also used a steam basket to steam oak cubes (10 min) prior to adding in secondary.
__________________
Magic8Ball is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bd2xu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 773
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball

The amount of chardonnay you are talking about is way too small to give much of anything to the flavor profile of the beer. Plus I don't think there is enough alcohol content in the wine to sanitize the oak. Use a cheap vodka as it is very neutral and i will only slightly bump your abv. I have also used a steam basket to steam oak cubes (10 min) prior to adding in secondary.
That's what I thought but the chips are already in secondary. Chance of infection?
__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Oktoberfest, Mojave Red
Secondary: Roggen 'n Rollin
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."
bd2xu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Magic8Ball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Benton County, Arkansas
Posts: 239
Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
That's what I thought but the chips are already in secondary. Chance of infection?
Yes, but that can be a good thing too. You could rack off/ pull the chips, but where is the fun in that? Besides its probably too late if there was some nasties on the chips. IMO I'd just roll with it, chalk it up as adventures in homebrewing.

Good Luck and Prost, M8B
__________________
Magic8Ball is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bd2xu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 773
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball

Yes, but that can be a good thing too. You could rack off/ pull the chips, but where is the fun in that? Besides its probably too late if there was some nasties on the chips. IMO I'd just roll with it, chalk it up as adventures in homebrewing.

Good Luck and Prost, M8B
That's what I'm thinking. I've not had to dump a batch yet for infection. I'm thinking I will be fine.
__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Oktoberfest, Mojave Red
Secondary: Roggen 'n Rollin
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."
bd2xu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petite Saison d'Ete neo-brewer Fermentation & Yeast 7 12-24-2012 01:57 AM
All-Grain - Petite Raspberry Saison ryane Belgian and French Ale 2 09-01-2012 03:39 PM
Petite Saison louie0202 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 02-21-2012 01:40 PM
Apricot Petite Saison emilyrose Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 07-13-2011 05:03 PM
Petite saison recipe ABV boost Hoowahoo02 Recipes/Ingredients 4 04-05-2011 04:15 PM