The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oak Chips...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
GK@BCB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oak Chips...

Whats the benefit? How to use?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If you like oak flavor, they're nice. I soaked some in some Jim Beam Black for about 3 weeks and then put them into secondary with my oatmeal stout for 2 weeks and it added a real nice touch of sweetness that had just a hint of oak to it. Some people use it for serious oak aging, but I've never tried that.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I stole a tip from, I believe Biermuncherm and used regular ole Jack Daniels oak smoking chips that I soaked for 2 weeks in more Jack. Came out great...
Next time though I might toast them a bit, basically just put them in a baking pan and sticking em under the broiler for a bit.

You can oak multiple batches...

One thing guys, when using them...Pick through them and make sure you only pieces larger than someone could choke on...in other words make sure there's no long slivers or tiny pieces that could accidentally get sucked up your autosiphon and end up it bottles...I selected pieces that were at least an inch wide.

ANd at 7 bucks for a huge resealable bag it's a great deal.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply