Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > nutty nuggets beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
CrybabyArtist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default nutty nuggets beer

There is a Spartan store near me that sells a kind of Post Grape Nut cereal, that I was thinking of trying to make beer out of. It consists of only 4 ingredients: Whole grain wheat flour, malted barley flour, salt and yeast. I wonder if anyone has made a beer out of this and NOTHING else, well maybe sugar and ale yeast, but no "kit" stuff. Oh yeah, if I'm successful I'll have to call it "Poverty Porter" or something cause that is my motivation for trying to make this, I can't even afford domestic swill at the moment. So if anyone can help a brother out with insight I'd appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Skyforger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, possible troll, you would need to get enzymes from somewhere to break up the barley and wheat flour starches into sugars useable by the yeast. And even if you did that, this would probably be pretty terrible. Too much salt, for starters. Might be interesting to try to make, say, a quart of it for curiosities' sake. In that case, try mashing the cereal with a handful of American 6-row pale malt, see what happens.

But seriously, if you're really that hard up and want to make beer, it would probably be more economical to just get a can of hopped malt extract or some amber DME, and a packet of dry ale yeast. You can make a wort of about 1.045 OG if you use one pound per gallon, and a pound costs about three dollars. This will yield about ten bottles of beer with 4.5% ABV, at about 30 cents each. A packet of yeast costs a dollar or two, and can start up five gallons. And it will probably be drinkable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply