Nutritious beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3rdM3t4l

Reaction score
It is common knowledge that beer (at least higher quality beers) retain some of the nutrients from their ingredients. Little bits of B vitamins, some minerals, etc. I want to brew a beer with a little more nutrition to it. I know in ancient Egypt their beer had a lot more particulate matter in it and was simmilar to boozy gruel. I don't want to go that far but as close as I can get with an ale that maybe has some particles of the grains left (not expecting a super smooth brew).

Any reccomendations on way to pack a little bit of my DRV into my ABV? Shooting for a low alcohol high nutrition beer.

Thoughts so far are to make it multigrain, I was thinking wheat, rye, and millet as specialy grains with a DME base. The DME base is because I don't have the resources to brew AG.

from what I've been told yeast tend to consume the nutrients found in the wort, so I would think your best bet to get nutrition out of the brew would be to agitate and consume any yeast that settled on the bottom of the bottle. You might even want to consider being less careful and rack more yeast into the bottling bucket.

from the University of Maryland medical center website
Brewer's yeast is made from a one-celled fungus called Saccharomyces cerevisiae and is used to make beer. It also can be grown to make nutritional supplements. Brewer's yeast is a rich source of minerals -- particularly chromium, an essential trace mineral that helps the body maintain normal blood sugar levels; selenium; protein; and the B-complex vitamins.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's my 2 cents. People buy yeast as a nutritional supplement, so why not just utilize what you have in surplus and make a hefeweizen

Good thoughts about the yeast from dawgmatic.

Here is my two cents on this but I am no expert:

One of the main reasons that beer was considered nutritious was because the water supply was tainted and beer was boiled and fermented to help with that. And it provided calories as well.

As far as multigrain, it might help with getting a little more or a little different vitamin and mineral content but I'm not sure you'd get much else. Much of the nutritional value of multigrain bread lies in the fiber content which you will not get in your beer unless you are including a lot of draff. We are essentially taking the converted sugars from the grains and leaving the rest. It's also my understanding that we do not end up with much (if any) of the unconverted starches in the final product.

Apparently darker beers have more flavinoids if you're looking for that...

I'm interested to hear any other thoughts.

Latest posts

Back