New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Nut Brown Mild critique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made a Nut Brown on Sunday and my grain bill was this:

9 lbs Rahr
.75 lbs brown malt
.5 lbs carastan
.5 lbs victory
.25 lbs pale chocolate
.125 lbs chocolate

Wort tasted awesome. This is very similar to Jamil's Northern Brown with some substitutions. But yeah if you hate the bready/bisquity flavor then skip the victory. If you want it sweeter keep the crystal. Afterall, it's all about making what you like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
I had a friend's brown ale that sounds pretty similar to yours Mars, and it had this super grainy taste that is my absolute MOST HATED flavor in beer.
Ive never had a grainy taste from this brown recipe... more along the lines of toasty biscuits, caramel, fresh tobacco and chocolate overtones. The one I do is super smooth with a nice aroma. It is all subjective anyway. Different folks on the same recipe can make for a wide variation depending on skill level, technique, and equipment.

Cheers!
-------------------------------

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

Just kegged this up. Here's the recipe I used:

69.8% Maris Otter 6.82#
10 Munich 1.01
5 Aromatic .5
5 Caramunich .52
5 Crystal 90 .52
2.5 Special B .26
2.5 Chocolate .31
.2 Black patent 13g

35g Fuggle pellets (4.2%) - 60min
24g Fuggle pellets (4.2%) - 0min (steeped for 10min before turning on chiller)

Wyeast 1968

I had crazy efficiency on this batch so my OG was 1.051 with an FG of 1.019.

I'm not saying this is a Newcastle clone but it's in that range, with some extra flavor. Aroma is roasty and earthy, like mushrooms, leaves, dark chocolate, and a grainy mash. Mouthfeel is pretty light, which contributes to its drinkability and thirst quenching. It starts with a light sweetness up front which turns to a bready roast at the back of the palate. The English hop character is present throughout (very impressed with the results of the hop steeping). There isn't a lot of caramel sweetness - it's more complex than that. Again, the sweetness is like a dark chocolate - subtle and complex but noticeable. Heavily toasted bread crust is also a good descriptor.

I just want to emphasize that this is in no way cloyingly sweet. I'm sure some people are having heart attacks out there because of the amount of crystal malt as well as the "high" FG, but I invite you over to the dark side where we love crystal and especially love malty English yeast strains.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post

I just want to emphasize that this is in no way cloyingly sweet. I'm sure some people are having heart attacks out there because of the amount of crystal malt as well as the "high" FG, but I invite you over to the dark side where we love crystal and especially love malty English yeast strains.
I just checked the gravity of a brown I made on saturday. It had 21.6% crystal malt in it. Used S-04 and its down to 1016. I was hoping for it too be on the sweeter side, but after tasting my hydro sample, its actually really balanced right now (5 days in the fermenter). So ya, maybe my palate can just handle sweet more? But ya...just a testament to a 20% or more crystal in the grist doesn't mean a cloyingly sweet beer.

Quick Reply