Now What Do I Do with this Munich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breckenridge

Lurker
Reaction score
I got 10 lb of Weyermann Munich Malt, thinking I was going to do a near-SMsSH Dusseldorf Altbier.

Well, I changed my mind, I'm not doing that beer now, and probably not be doing it anytime soon. I'm trying to recall if I've ever used Munich malt before, and can't think of a time in the 2+ years I've been brewing.

So, what do I do with this stuff? Who has used it as a specialty malt, and how, in what styles? I'm sticking with ales for now.

Any suggestions welcome. I'm thinking spreading it over a few ambers, maybe as an accent in a saison, but would like to hear other ideas.

I use it in all of my DIPAs. Instead of using a small amount of more intense caramel malts (which can leave an intense caramel flavor), I use a larger amount of munich to get the beer to the color I want.

I recently used 5 lbs of Munich and 5 lbs of dark wheat for a fantastic dunkelweizen with 3068 yeast.

Latest posts

Back