Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Nottingham Sub for peach cob ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
chefderekvann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Nottingham Sub for peach cob ale

Hey guys I'm making a peach cobbler ale, tells me to use Nottingham dry yeast but I'm looking to sub it with a Wyeast. Was thinking Wyeast 1318 London Ale III or Wyeast 1968 London ESB...
Any suggestions guys (or gals)
Thanks in advance BTW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
chefderekvann
Recipes 

Default Nottingham sub for peach cob ale

Hey guys I'm making a peach cobbler ale, tells me to use Nottingham dry yeast but I'm looking to sub it with a Wyeast. Was thinking Wyeast 1318 London Ale III or Wyeast 1968 London ESB...
Thanks in advance BTW

Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
chefderekvann
Recipes 

Default Nottingham sub for peach cob ale

Thanks in advance BTW

Old 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Since you have so many of these questions on the board maybe the charts below will be helpful. Nottingham is quite neutral, I suspect those other two strains will be fruitier and lower attenuating although I don't have a lot of personal experience with them. Out of curiosity, do you have something against dry yeast? All your questions regard replacing easily found, quality dry yeasts with liquid.

Dry/wyeast/whitelabs chart
mr malty wyeast/white lab equivalents

Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
chefderekvann
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
Since you have so many of these questions on the board maybe the charts below will be helpful. Nottingham is quite neutral, I suspect those other two strains will be fruitier and lower attenuating although I don't have a lot of personal experience with them. Out of curiosity, do you have something against dry yeast? All your questions regard replacing easily found, quality dry yeasts with liquid.

Dry/wyeast/whitelabs chart
mr malty wyeast/white lab equivalents

Honestly I have just always used the Wyeast packs and have never tried to use dry yeast... Mostly because Ido to know what I'm doing and I'm very confused by the yeast count and how much I should use... Willing to give it a go if someone wants to walk me threw it lol

Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Are you just using a single smack pack per batch, or are you doing starters? If not doing a starter then you may actually be better off with dry yeast. The calculator at mrmalty.com tells how much to pitch for both dry and liquid yeast.

Many folks just sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the wort but there will be some cell loss that way. I usually do that with my 2.5 gal batches because an entire pack would be more yeast than I need anyway. To avoid the cell loss you can rehydrate the dry yeast before pitching, see below.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
chefderekvann
Recipes 

Ok so I get that part of rehydrating the yeast and what not. I used to be a baker and made a lot of yeast starters for bread so I get how yeast acts. The point in question is the fact the packs are 11grams and says it's 6 billion cells per gram... Which means a pack is only 66 billon cells how is this enough for one pack to make a 5 gal patch???

Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah the spec sheets say >= 5 billion but the actual counts are more like 20 billion. Sources:

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles...t-and-glycogen

Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
chefderekvann
Recipes 

Thanks a lot chickypad, after some searching and checking out mr malty I think I will be going with dry yeast now... You have saved me some time and money thanks

Quick Reply