Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Nottingham for high gravity brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Nottingham for high gravity brew?

I'm going to be brewing my IIPA this weekend and I'd like to use Nottingham but I've never used it in a big beer before. I've had great success with it in all other beers and I'm looking for a neutral yeast.

Can Nottingham handle 1.093?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't used Nottingham up that high but I have used US05 (and I pitch two packs with high grav worts)....Danstar describes Nottingham as having "relatively high alcohol tolerance" and includes this in the FAQ:

I am making a high gravity beer. Does this affect the amount of dry yeast I should add to my wort?

Yes, for high gravity beers the pitching rate should be increased. The rule of thumb is one million cells per degree Plato per ml. Under-pitching can result in slow or stuck fermentation.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have had great success in BIG beers with white labs Irish Ale yeast. I have not risked dry yeast in ahigh grav brew.

To insure success, you can ferment it out with only some of your fermentables in place, in other words brew 3.5 gallons or so of a weaker beer, then add a gallon of concentrated wort after a few days, and repeat if necessary. This method can coax a yeast strain well beyond it's advertised alcohol tolerance. But don't expect it to bottle carb!

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
I have had great success in BIG beers with white labs Irish Ale yeast. I have not risked dry yeast in ahigh grav brew.

To insure success, you can ferment it out with only some of your fermentables in place, in other words brew 3.5 gallons or so of a weaker beer, then add a gallon of concentrated wort after a few days, and repeat if necessary. This method can coax a yeast strain well beyond it's advertised alcohol tolerance. But don't expect it to bottle carb!
No bottling here. 1.090-ish is high, but not so high that I feel the need to brew multiple worts and do a stepped fermentation.

I guess this will prove to be a valuable experiment. I may just pitch two packets and go with a blowoff.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've done it before. If I was to do it again, I think I would pitch 2 packets. First impressions were a sour/apple taste after 3 weeks. After another month, I tasted a bottled I had forced carbed. Was real nice.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

You shouldn't have a problem at all, I did a 1.087 stout with it and it turned out amazing. Pitch 2 sachets (assuming 11g size) and make sure you properly rehydrate the yeast as per the directions - don't pitch directly into the wort.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 12-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe I missed something here, but why not just make a big starter with the Nottingham??

Old 12-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, i just checked the stats on the first non-kit beer i ever made. I used 2 packets of Nottingham, on a SG of 1.092 Imp Stout, rehydrated (no starter as i didn't know about those back then) and it fermented down to 1.022 which was the target....made a 9.5% abv beer.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb
Maybe I missed something here, but why not just make a big starter with the Nottingham??
I'm almost out of DME and I forgot to include some on my latest AHS order, so a starter isn't going to work out for me this time around. Normally I'd make a huge starter for this, but since I probably don't have enough DME left I thought I'd ask about the viability of pitching 2 packets of Nottingham.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb
DON'T make a starter with dry yeast. Just pitch the appropriate amount. If it needs 2-3 packets it is still cheap. Dry yeast has been propogated and preserved in such a way to provide the best quality of healthy, well fed and viable yeast possible if rehydrated properly. As homebrewers we cannot duplicate this.

GT

Quick Reply