Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > This Is Not A Beer, It's An IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Keffa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default This Is Not A Beer, It's An IPA

So, went ahead and pulled the trigger on an ounce of Centennial, 4 oz of Amarillo, and 4 oz of Simcoe, since the combo of Amarillo and Simcoe is so good.

So, this is what my friend Robert and myself are going to brew from it (for real this time :P)

This Is Not A Beer, It's An IPA

6.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
5.00 lb Vienna Malt
2.50 lb 2 Row Pale
0.38 lb Carapils

Mash at 150

.5 Centennial @ 60
1oz Amarillo @ 15
1oz Simcoe @ 15
1oz Amarillo @ 5
1oz Simcoe @ 5
.5oz Amarillo KO steep for 10 minutes
.5oz Simcoe KO steep for 10 minutes
.5oz Centennial KO steep for 10 minutes
1.5oz Amarillo Dry hop for 7 days
1.5oz Simcoe Dry hop for 7 days

US05 for 7 days @ 66F, 7 days dry hop.

Comments/suggestions welcome, since the beer hasn't been brewed yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo has to be my favorite combination of hops that I've come across so far. The hopping schedule looks good, if I were brewing it I might up the 60 minute addition because I can't imagine you'd be getting much more than 20 IBUs or so from only a half oz of Centennial. Also, with that much MO and Vienna you'll be getting quite a bit of character from the malt, but if that's what you like in your IPAs then you're definitely on the right track.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Keffa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo has to be my favorite combination of hops that I've come across so far. The hopping schedule looks good, if I were brewing it I might up the 60 minute addition because I can't imagine you'd be getting much more than 20 IBUs or so from only a half oz of Centennial. Also, with that much MO and Vienna you'll be getting quite a bit of character from the malt, but if that's what you like in your IPAs then you're definitely on the right track.
The 1 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe at 15 adds around 30 IBU. The IBU/SG ratio is .777.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keffa View Post
The 1 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe at 15 adds around 30 IBU. The IBU/SG ratio is .777.
I usually shoot for an IBU/SG of at least 1.00 in my IPAs with the Tinseth approximation. For me, anything less than that just tastes like an overweight APA. That's just my personal preference though.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Keffa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm trying to keep it in the BJCP guidelines, between 40 and 70 IBU, and as it sits, it's 56.1 IBU. Adding the other .5 oz of Centennial to 60 minutes gives me over 80.

FWIW, I'm trying to keep this one in the guidelines for entry into a couple local homebrew events. Everything is within the guidelines, and as long as it finishes between 1.015-1.018, I'll be okay for ABV. This one is going to have a good bit of perceived bitterness from the later additions IMO.

If this one is even half as good as our "mistake" IPA, then we'll be happy with it :P

Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Keffa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Btw, this beer's name is a play off of a song title from Psychostick (This Is Not A Song, It Is A Sandwich).

Seeing them tonight in Columbus.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Maybe I'm crazy but I find Simcoe hops to dominate the flavor profile when they are used with other hops. So I'd personally either use less Simcoe or use more Amarillo/Centennial...

Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Keffa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you might be the odd one out. Columbus IPA uses a LOT of Simcoe in it, and I find all kinds of flavors in it, pineapple, pine, citrus, tropical fruit, resin, etc.

I can't wait for the hops to get here so I can brew already. I'm getting impatient :P

Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Ender
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That is true about columbusIPA, but their grain bill is much simpler. I think its 2-row, little crystal and some sugar if I remember correctly.

Ender

I'm Smelling a lot of IF coming offa this plan

Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I like the low amount at 60. You'll be getting even more IBUs from the KO additions that are steeped (you can approximate how many by calculating if they were added at 20 mins). Just did an APA with only 60 addition and then whirlpool - it's got tons of hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma. I'm a believer in the hot steep/whirlpool!

Quick Reply