Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter - How long to Oak?
View Poll Results: How long should the NB BBP be on 2oz of Medium Plus Oak Cubes?
~3 Days 2 4.65%
~1 Week 4 9.30%
~2 Weeks 13 30.23%
~1 Month 12 27.91%
~2 Months 4 9.30%
~3 Months 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #21
dlm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Cubes: (impart flavor much slower) for aging after primary (in keg) use about 1-2 oz for 5 gal 5
months-1 year
---No point to using cubes if only aging for a month or so.
------The more the beer sits on the cube it penetrates deeper causing a variety of flavors
------The more oak you apply the shorter amount to time it takes to show itself
------The flavor is different depending on amount placed and time left
------The flavors that come out first from the oak only become more defined with age
---It takes 3-4 weeks to notice flavors are melding (especially with cubes)
------Vanilla and caramel are first, then spices and cloves later on
------Toasted coconut for lighter toast oak
---Oak cubes will dissolve to “little nubs” after 1 ½ -2 years of keeping them in a keg (Jamil did this with an English Barleywine, which became an award winning beer)
---Too little oak for too long creates bad tannins
---Too much oak does not create complexity of flavors before it becomes overwhelming (varies between different styles of beer)
Thanks, going by this I'll probably oak for 3-4 months. I'll probably just soak the vanilla beans in the bourbon for a few days prior to adding it to the beer, but not actually add the beans to the beer since they would be sitting there for months. From what I gather, the alcohol in the bourbon should extra most of the flavor in a few days anyway.
Up next: Bavarian Dunkle
Thinking about: Belgian Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #22
dlm3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
just wait until you get back... yeast clean up is your friend. last few days on bourbon soaked vanilla, oak it first.
Are you saying to wait until I get back to take it out of primary? Cause that will be about 6 weeks in primary, which is a bit long, isn't it?

Old 03-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #23
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

nope! 6 weeks still good! let your yeast clean up. you'll be fine! oak and vanilla when you get back.
Many times I let my primary go that long then dry hop or oak... won't hurt anything. if you've never done it try it. I've found a longer primary does great things to final bottled product and even better force carbed kegged beer

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #24
dlm3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strecker25 View Post
dlm, i dont mean to steal your thread but I brewed this beer sunday and am currently at a 1.030 gravity. How low did you get your FG to? I have a packet of windsor and 2 packets of nottingham and im debating repitching to get this thing going again.
I racked this to secondary this evening, I forgot to take a gravity reading until after I had racked it over ~18 oz of Maker's Mark, but the reading came out to be about 1.014. I'm pretty impressed with the Wyeast 1728 yeast so far!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #25
dlm3
Recipes 

I accidentally let two of the vanilla beans go into the secondary and have left them there so far. Will they cause bad flavors if I leaving them there for two or three months while my beer ages?

Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
barkscruff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I let the oak cubes soak in about 18-20 oz of Makers Mark for about 4 weeks with 2 vanilla beans. I fermented 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary before adding the bourbon, chips, and vanilla beans. I bottled on 17th. My FG sample tasted great, but very heavy on the bourbon. I sampled a bottle on Sunday, and was pretty much fully carbed, but the taste needs to settle out alot. It was really heavy on bourbon. Some nice vanilla coming through.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
jondavis08
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Keg?

Thinking of bewing this kit but was wondering if anyone has kegged this brew instead of bottling? Everything I've read about has involved bottling. Is there a benefit for bottling over kegging this type of beer? Does the aging process work better in bottles?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
dlm3
Recipes 

I have not kegged this before, but I'm sure that would be just fine. However, I would age it on oak in secondary for a few months, then keg within a few weeks of when you want to serve it.

Quick Reply