Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter - How long to Oak?

View Poll Results: How long should the NB BBP be on 2oz of Medium Plus Oak Cubes?
~3 Days 2 4.88%
~1 Week 3 7.32%
~2 Weeks 12 29.27%
~1 Month 12 29.27%
~2 Months 4 9.76%
~3 Months 8 19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
dlm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter - How long to Oak?

I'm a few days from racking my BBP into my secondary over oak and Maker's Mark. I've read a wide variety of opinions on how long this beer should sit on the oak cubes. The kit came with 2oz of Medium Plus U.S. Oak. I've heard anywhere from a few days to months. Many people say to take periodic samples and bottle once I like the taste, which makes sense. But I don't plan on drinking this until starting around October, so I don't want to taste to become lost to aging if I bottle too soon. Also, I don't want to be fiddling with my beer more than necessary either.

If you've brewed this kit, please let me know how long you left your beer on the oak and how you thought it turned out (and any tweaks you would make next time.) Thanks!!

Up next: Bavarian Dunkle
Thinking about: Belgian Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
chromados
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If they are cubes its basically as long as you can wait. I only use cubes on dark beers and the last bourbon barrel stout i had on cubes for about 8 months before i bottled it. I hope that helps you some, and patience will give you a better beer.

Chromados

Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
dlm3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromados
If they are cubes its basically as long as you can wait. I only use cubes on dark beers and the last bourbon barrel stout i had on cubes for about 8 months before i bottled it. I hope that helps you some, and patience will give you a better beer.

Chromados
To clarify, the kit included oak cubes, not chips.

Will I need to pitch more yeast at bottling if I wait months, or will they still be viable enough to carb?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 AM   #4
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

once my barleywine is done fermenting... im putting it in a secondary on Hungarian oak cubes for a minimum of 4 months (August/September ill be bottling)

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Strecker25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

dlm, i dont mean to steal your thread but I brewed this beer sunday and am currently at a 1.030 gravity. How low did you get your FG to? I have a packet of windsor and 2 packets of nottingham and im debating repitching to get this thing going again.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
dlm3
Recipes 

I brewed mine 10 days ago. This was my first time using liquid yeast (second brew total) and I used Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. I made a starter two days prior and had active fermentation about 3 hours after pitching. When I pitched dry (Windsor) in my first batch, it took around 18 hours before fermentation was noticeable.

I had active fermentation for about 3 days with this batch, ambient temps are around 61-64 degrees. I haven't checked the gravity of this batch since fermentation began, I try to disturb my beer as little as possible. The OG was right on target at 1.065 though. I'll probably rack this to secondary over oak cubes, Maker's Mark, and Madagascar vanilla beans around next Wednesday. When I do I'll take a gravity reading and report back.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

cubes have less surface area than chips... start at 7-10 days... and maybe more? are they light or dark? I've thought about doing the pirate rum version with cardamum and a bit of licorice.

just saw survey medium toast.. cubes 10 days and taste... let ride longer if you want more oak like smoke can fade over time.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
dlm3
Recipes 

They are 2 oz of "Medium Plus U.S. Oak Cubes".

Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
Strecker25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm3 View Post
I brewed mine 10 days ago. This was my first time using liquid yeast (second brew total) and I used Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. I made a starter two days prior and had active fermentation about 3 hours after pitching. When I pitched dry (Windsor) in my first batch, it took around 18 hours before fermentation was noticeable.

I had active fermentation for about 3 days with this batch, ambient temps are around 61-64 degrees. I haven't checked the gravity of this batch since fermentation began, I try to disturb my beer a little as possible. The OG was right on target at 1.065 though. I'll probably rack this to secondary over oak cubes, Maker's Mark, and Madagascar vanilla beans around next Wednesday. When I do I'll take a gravity reading and report back.

awesome thanks again, I too am interested in the oak cube length. Im probably going to hang onto this beer and really just let it sit for a while, im going a month primary, probably 2 months secondary with a month and a half of it being on the cubes and boubon. I'd like to age it to next fall and see where it goes.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

a month and a half seems long even with cubes
taste weekly. medium toast is not really strong but more so than light. start tasting at minimum of 2 weeks.

I'll be doing vanilla too even though Cruzan Black strap has a bit of a vanilla kick from the sugar cane.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply