The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > NOOB trying Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
BoA1967
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default NOOB trying Amber Ale

I'm new to Partial-Mash, and 4 beer kit brews old. (3 beer kits, with steeping grains, and 1 extract/steeping/boiling hops)
I've been reading, searching and studying brewing alot, for 3 months, and now i'm getting ready to brew try a partial mash, with a mini-mash tun (2 UK gallons)

Heres the recipe I have created, and I need feedback. Have I gone overboard, or am I on the right track. (I don't know the style but I like the tastes of the grains in the mix):

Tamper with Amber (Irish Red Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.14 %
Colour (SRM): 13.8 (EBC): 27.2
Bitterness (IBU): 29.1 (Rager)

46.62% Maris Otter Malt
23.31% Amber Malt
9.32% Dry Malt Extract - Light
9.32% Vienna
4.66% Carapils (Dextrine)
4.66% Dry Malt Extract - Dark
1.17% Biscuit
0.47% Chocolate
0.47% Roasted Barley

1.3 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
2.2 g/L Malto-Dextrine @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

Best regards

~Bo (From Denmark)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I think you've got too much of a hodgepodge there. I'd ditch any dark or amber extract, as it has other things in it like crystal malt so it's hard to say what's in it.

An American amber typical has up to 15% or so crystal malt, and maybe some Vienna and Munich character malts. Amber malt is a dry biscuity malt, and so is biscuit malt. Roasted barley AND chocolate malt are overkill, too. I think you're making an English pale ale with those hops?

If I knew exactly what style you were going for, I'd be able to give you some better and more specific advise, but I'd definitely totally simplify that grainbill. Maris otter malt, a bit of carapils or crystal malt, and some of the biscuit malt with chocolate malt for color is more than sufficient, and use light extract for the extract.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
BoA1967
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I think you've got too much of a hodgepodge there. I'd ditch any dark or amber extract, as it has other things in it like crystal malt so it's hard to say what's in it.

An American amber typical has up to 15% or so crystal malt, and maybe some Vienna and Munich character malts. Amber malt is a dry biscuity malt, and so is biscuit malt. Roasted barley AND chocolate malt are overkill, too. I think you're making an English pale ale with those hops?

If I knew exactly what style you were going for, I'd be able to give you some better and more specific advise, but I'd definitely totally simplify that grainbill. Maris otter malt, a bit of carapils or crystal malt, and some of the biscuit malt with chocolate malt for color is more than sufficient, and use light extract for the extract.
That's why I made my first thread,... Thanks, mate
Roasted Barley is over the top, and no Dark DME, but double the Light DME. Removing the Amber Malt would save me a trip to the shop, so no argument here!!

Thanks again!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

he's going for Irish Red

"Tamper with Amber (Irish Red Ale)"

I think 23% Amber malt is way too much - that stuff is pretty potent - 6oz in a 5gal batch is very noticeable to me

a little roasted barley or chocolate malt will suffice to darken it a bit and add a hint of flavor - with those amounts you won't really discern either so just pick one

Old 02-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'd definitely totally simplify that grainbill. Maris otter malt, a bit of carapils or crystal malt, and some of the biscuit malt with chocolate malt for color is more than sufficient, and use light extract for the extract.
Especially seeing as this is a first shot at the recipe, I would start simple and build from there.
Yoopers suggestion for Maris otter, crystal and some chocolate for color is great.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
BoA1967
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll think I need to more simple,... just want to try everything in one try, though it is impossible!
As "terrapinj" is pointing at, my pointer was a Irish Red Ale, but I think it took a turn.

Thx for the feedback, and think about "more is less"

Quick Reply