Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Non alcoholic beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Hebrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Non alcoholic beer?

I have a member of my family that currently only drinks O'Douls "non-alcoholic" beer. Is there a way to home brew non alcoholic beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check this BYO article out.
http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/43-low-alcohol-brewing/265-brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

Old 10-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews View Post
I have a member of my family that currently only drinks O'Douls "non-alcoholic" beer. Is there a way to home brew non alcoholic beer?
If he has a medical reason to not consume alcohol, no. If he wants to simply drink less alcohol you can brew lower alcohol beer, or remove some of the alcohol from beer.

See posts from Mary Beth Raines on homebrew digest on the subject. She could remove only about half of the alcohol from normal strength beer in her kitchen, despite being able to remove nearly all in a lab in small quantities.

I have never seen any report of someone making anything close to alcohol free beer at home where the alcohol level was reliably confirmed. You can get alcohol measured by a lab for under $100 or a local brewery with a lab may do it for free if they like you. Don't compromise someone's health by giving them the product of a process before you confirm definitively that it works.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cool thanks guys.

Quick Reply