Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Noble IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
fluidmechanics
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Noble IPA

Can anybody recommend an all noble hop IPA all grain recipe, or a single hop IPA recipe and suggestions of which noble hop you think would be a good substitute? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
bianco152
Recipes 

If I'm not mistaken, "noble" hops are known for their low bitterness and a more nuetral to earthy quality. I wouldn't think they would make for a great IPA

Primary: Traditional Mead, English Barleywine
Secondary: None
Bottled: Belgian Ginger IPA, "Peated Rose" Wee Heavy, "Holy Smoke!" Smoked Export Oatmeal Stout
Future Brews: Nelson Sauvin SMaSH IPA, 50/50 Munich/MO Pale Ale

Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
JonnyJumpUp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Noble Pils by Sam Adams is a good beer that I think puts the noble hops on center stage. Its IBU's aren't at the IPA level though. The description on the bottle says it uses all the noble hops. I would see a noble IPA as a amped up version of the Noble Pils which is a good beer. You might use more hops to get the same IBU's but if you like noble hops go for it.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
fluidmechanics
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Great points, but I keep going back to the fact that when the British first created this style they didn't have all of the hybrid types of hops we have today. They just added more hops so the beer wouldn't spoil on the way to India. Im just guessing that the hops they did have we're close to noble hops. Am I incorrect?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidmechanics View Post
Great points, but I keep going back to the fact that when the British first created this style they didn't have all of the hybrid types of hops we have today. They just added more hops so the beer wouldn't spoil on the way to India. Im just guessing that the hops they did have we're close to noble hops. Am I incorrect?
The hops they had would have definitely been a lot closer to noble hops than most American cultivars are. I've heard of people using noble hops to good end for use in IPAs. A search on this site brings up a number of examples.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I don't know where you're at, but if you're on the east coast, Shipyard makes an all Fuggles IPA. Haven't tried it myself. EKG's might be another option.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sam Adams made an all-Hallertau Mittelfruh Imperial Pilsner a few years ago that was delicious. Basically, fitting pilsner ingredients into a BIG IPA's numbers. I thought it was great, but quite different than what you think when you hear IPA.

Peace and bacon grease

Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
bob3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidmechanics View Post
I think you are right. Historic British recipes seem to use quite a lot of
noble hops.

here is one
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/lets-brew-wednesday-1885-ushers-ip.html

many more on this site you might want to look at.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyJumpUp View Post
Noble Pils by Sam Adams is a good beer that I think puts the noble hops on center stage. Its IBU's aren't at the IPA level though. The description on the bottle says it uses all the noble hops. I would see a noble IPA as a amped up version of the Noble Pils which is a good beer. You might use more hops to get the same IBU's but if you like noble hops go for it.
This...I know its not what you are after...but have you tasted it? Its fantastic! Plus there are several recipies out there, you could use it as a starting point and start subbing out the pils malt to the point you like

Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You don't need to be using high alpha hops to create an IPA, of course you'll just have to add more of what you're using. Maybe people are forgetting English IPAs? Many of them include huge amounts of EKG or Fuggles--technically not noble hops, but many people loosely refer to them as such. I'd say to just use a bunch of what you like to get your IBUs in line with an IPA. I do like the Noble pils suggestion as well; stuff is awesome!

Quick Reply