New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain - No Trubble - Tripel X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
NoTrubble
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Simple sugars will ferment out almost completely, and if you invert them into a simple syrup, I believe, you will still get a very fermentable product, but ......

I've seen threads where people claim that some processes for making homemade candi sugar/syrup, actually reduce the fermentability of the product. I've never had a problem with mine, and personally I don't believe it will make much difference, but it might be worth you doing some research. If there is any truth in this, it could explain your high FG. If you find anything, please report back.
I repitched with Safale US-05 about 14 hours ago and there is zero indication of advancing fermentation. So I am thinking you are right about the sugars being the problem. That being said it's still a very good tasting beer at this point. I will go ahead and bottle once it settles out in a few days.

Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrubble View Post
I repitched with Safale US-05 about 14 hours ago and there is zero indication of advancing fermentation. So I am thinking you are right about the sugars being the problem. That being said it's still a very good tasting beer at this point. I will go ahead and bottle once it settles out in a few days.
You pitched a single packet into a 5.5% abv wort with no O2 (no I'm not recommending you aerate). It is going to take some time for the yeast to do anything. It is probably not going to reproduce, so you are stuck with the population you pitched. many will probably die due to the adverse conditions, but billions will survive. They will take time to adjust. I'd wait a few days before making any decision on whether they are doing anything.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I got a white film on top of it and it looks like acetobacter infection. I was told by someone else to see if a fruit fly had gotten in there. And I spotted one tonight apparently exhausted from the doing the Belgian 200 meter Olympic backstroke. He said the beer would probably taste fine anyway since it is a Belgian design an could use a little souring since I missed my numbers on the homemade candi sugar disaster. So when it settles out I will go ahead and bottle it and see what happens.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bottled @ 3.3 Vols to counter the sugar. It ended up being 6.4% ABV because of the failed candi sugar. Still very drinkable. I will brew this again but modify my candi sugar recipe/skills.

Quick Reply